Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Suggestions For Work

Our GIS department deals with large image files as they build and create maps. The imagery files are obtained from a company that flies over our county and takes pictures of everything from different angles. As the imagery technology gets better the files the company delivers to us are getting bigger with the last flyover being over 4TB in size. With previous year's imagery, we have almost 6TBs of data.
The Terramaster F4-424 caught my eye after watching your review but I'm concerned about the OS security. The NAS would be internal only and not accessible from outside the network. If there is a better NAS for large image files and would be able to handle delivering their work projects I'd be open to any suggestion you can give me.

Thank you in advance. I love your content!!

V/R
George King
Thank you for reaching out regarding NAS solutions for handling large image files in your GIS department. I understand the importance of managing substantial data volumes efficiently.

Regarding your concern about OS security, if the NAS will be used exclusively internally and not exposed to the internet, security becomes less of an issue. In such cases, you can focus more on features that enhance performance and scalability.

For your requirements, I would recommend considering the Synology DiskStation DS1621+. It's a robust NAS solution known for its high-capacity storage capabilities and reliable performance. However, if you're open to exploring alternatives, the Synology DS423+ and DS923+ are also excellent choices and considered market leaders in the NAS industry. These models offer superior performance, scalability, and extensive features that can efficiently handle large image files and support seamless project deliveries.

Priced within your budget of $2000, the DS423+ and DS923+ provide advanced security features alongside their impressive storage and processing capabilities. They are equipped with Synology's DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system, known for its user-friendly interface and comprehensive management tools.