Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Surveillance Rackmount server

Hi
I am planning on having a rackmount server and I am currently using desktop computers for the following tasks:
One PC running Blue IRIS on windows for my 8 cameras. Its a Surveillance application that does some AI features for video analysis like Face Detection, vehicle and or other objects detection, and plate detection.
One PC tunning Home Assistant automation software on Lenox for my mixed home automation devices.
Want to add a file sharing server NAS.

I want a rackmount server to host all of the above. I was looking for a Dell, HP, or a Lenovo Rack server but prefer short depth one to be able to only use a Network Rack instead of a big rack.

In my search, someone told me about QNAP and Synology. I never heard of them before.
I fount your videos covering those two companies. Thank you very much for your efforts on those videos.

We are now in 2024 and many things have advanced.
Can you please help me decide on one company and what model to buy?
Faihan
Thanks for reaching out! If you're looking for a rackmount server that can handle your surveillance needs along with home automation and file sharing, Synology and QNAP are both excellent choices. Synology offers dedicated NVR models like the DVA3221, which come with built-in AI features for video analysis such as face detection and vehicle detection. You can also link these with any rack NAS for additional storage. Alternatively, for a more versatile setup, you might consider a QNAP rackmount NAS with an Intel i7, i9, Xeon, or Ryzen CPU, equipped with a GPU card. This setup allows you to run virtual machines, making it possible to host Blue Iris and Home Assistant simultaneously. QNAP's models often come with the necessary hardware to handle these tasks efficiently.