Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS923+ and WD Blue drives

Wanted to get into a NAS for home backup - Windows and MAC and maybe Plex to my appleTVs in the house.

I just bought a DS923+ with 4 x 4TB drives. Looking back at the amazon page where I ordered it - it does not state the drives type or manufacturer. When I received it and opened it this morning I found 4 Western Digital Blue Drives - WD40EZAX drives made in January 2024.

Should I return the unit and buy one that is drive-less and then buy my own drives??? Would this be ok for a home environment??? Did I get taken - I have 30 days to return it

Thanks

Clarnece Duty
Using WD Blue drives in a RAID 10 configuration, like in your DS923+, is generally acceptable for home backup and media streaming needs. RAID 10 offers both speed and redundancy, which can help protect your data and ensure smooth media playback.

However, if you were considering a RAID 5 setup instead, it's worth noting that WD Red Plus drives are often recommended for this configuration. WD Red Plus drives are specifically designed for NAS environments and offer features tailored to RAID setups, such as error recovery controls and compatibility with NAS systems.

While WD Blue drives can work in RAID setups, WD Red Plus drives are optimized for NAS use and may offer better performance and reliability, especially in RAID 5 configurations where data redundancy is crucial.