Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Extra HHD; model and capacity

Hi,
I have a Synology DS920+ with 2x 2TB Ironwolf (not Pro) and SHR (with immutable snapshots).

Since my movies and tv shows are growing a lot, i'm considering on buying one more HDD but i don't know if i should go with another 8TB/10TB/12TB IronWolf or WD Red Plus.

I use the NAS for:

- sync between my pc and Synology with Drive, and between my smartphone and Synology using FolderSync Pro.
- Synology Photos (4 users).
- Store and stream music using Navidrome on Container Manager (at home and out).
- Store and stream my movies (some can be large). At the moment i have Plex (which i'm almost decided to stop using), Emby (not Premiere), and Jellyfin (i like it but it's just a "backup" for Emby). Emby and Jellyfin are also on Container Manager (to use at home and out)
- Surveillance Station with 2 cameras
- Hyperbackup to an external HDD

Thanks (and for your Youtube videos too)

Best regards
Thanks for reaching out! It sounds like you're doing a fantastic job managing your media library and other applications on your Synology DS920+. With your growing collection of movies and TV shows, adding an extra HDD is a smart move.

Here are a few considerations to help you decide between the 8TB, 10TB, and 12TB options:

Capacity Needs: Since you're already using 4TB across your two existing drives, consider how much additional space you’ll need based on your growth rate. If you anticipate substantial growth in your media collection, going for the 12TB drive might give you the best longevity before needing to expand again.

Drive Choice: Both IronWolf and WD Red Plus drives are excellent choices for NAS environments. However, IronWolf drives are often optimized for multi-user environments and continuous use, which could be beneficial given your usage of various applications like Emby and Jellyfin. If you're looking for a little extra peace of mind, the IronWolf Pro series offers enhanced durability features, though it may come at a higher cost.

Performance and RAID Considerations: Since you're using Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR), adding a larger drive can help optimize space and performance. If you choose an 8TB, it will be balanced well with your existing drives, but if you go for the 10TB or 12TB, remember that the storage space will be limited by the smallest drive in the array.

Ultimately, if your budget allows, I’d lean towards the 12TB IronWolf for maximum capacity and future-proofing. However, if you want to stay more conservative, the 8TB could still serve you well for the time being.