Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS224+ vs F2-423 and questions about NASCOMPARES Benchmark Video

Hey all.

I think I am leaning towards the Synology 224+ (but also considering the terramaster f2-423 (because of the multitude of videos from NASCompares YouTube).  I am brand new to the NAS world, so I like that Synology has intuitive software and sounds like it's got everything I would want.  My biggest use cases are: Running a Plex movie server (and dlna/smb server?) and backing up our phones (photos and videos).  We'd also likely use it to offload other files on our computer that we don't want taking up space. One video on the youtube channel showed pretty great performance with the Synology 224+ but I couldn't tell if he was using the 2gb of memory that comes with it, or if the memory was upgraded. I also wasn't sure if the drives were 5400 or 7200. I do love that the terramaster has much better hardware and more expansion possibilities, but wondering if it might be overkill?  Driveless, they both also seem to be around the same price.

So my first question is - was the benchmarking video using 2gb or more?
Second question - just how different (features) are the overall apps between the two systems?

Anyone have strong feelings here?  Thanks!