Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS220+ RAM Upgrade

G'day Rob. I watched your video on upgrading the DS220+ with the 18GB RAM today, and as I desperately wanted to activate the object recognition in Synology Photo's, I ripped the 8GB DDR4 SODIMM out of my laptop and stuck it into the NAS.

I've done a memory test and it passed, though oddly, the Info Centre now shows a total of 6GB of RAM instead of 10GB (2+8). On your page, "Synology DS220+ 18GB Unofficial Memory Upgrade Installation Guide" there's no mention of what to do if it's recognised, passes, but is restricted to a lower capacity, so I'm hoping you may have an idea, please?

Thank you,
Jason
Thanks for reaching out, and I'm glad to hear you found the video on upgrading the DS220+ helpful! It's great that you're eager to activate object recognition in Synology Photos.

Regarding the RAM issue you're experiencing, it's not uncommon for NAS systems to have specific compatibility requirements. If the Info Centre is showing a total of 6GB instead of 10GB, there could be a couple of reasons for this.

Compatibility: Not all DDR4 SODIMM modules work seamlessly with the DS220+. Sometimes, the NAS can be picky about the specific RAM modules used. Ensure that the 8GB module you took from your laptop is compatible with the NAS. If it’s not officially supported, the NAS may not utilize the full capacity.

Dual Channel Configuration: The DS220+ may require that both RAM sticks are of the same speed and specifications to operate effectively in dual-channel mode. If the 8GB stick is not matching the specifications of the existing RAM, it might revert to recognizing the lower capacity.

To troubleshoot, you could try the following steps:

Reinstall the RAM: Power down the NAS, remove the RAM, and reinsert it carefully. Sometimes, a poor connection can lead to recognition issues.
Check for BIOS/firmware updates: Ensure your NAS firmware is up to date. Sometimes, updates can improve compatibility with various hardware components.
Test Different Configurations: If possible, try using only the 8GB stick by itself or switch the slots. This can help identify if one of the modules is causing the issue.
If these steps don’t resolve the problem, you might want to consider getting a different RAM module that’s known to be compatible with the DS220+. The Synology community can also be a helpful resource for finding compatible RAM recommendations.