Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First NAS

I am looking for my first NAS with a budget of around 400 €.
I have 2 4TB HDD's that I got as gifts and I am not afraid to build one, although I would like to enjoy the convenience of a closed product.

It would be for documents/photos and personal and programming projects. I would like to be able to expand with M2 if necessary.
Many Thanks
Thanks for reaching out! It's exciting that you're considering your first NAS. With a budget of around €400 and two 4TB HDDs ready to go, you're off to a great start!

For a great balance of convenience and expandability, I recommend looking into the Synology DS223j, DS223, or DS220+. All three models are user-friendly and provide solid performance for storing documents, photos, and programming projects.

Synology DS223j: This is an excellent entry-level model that offers reliable performance for personal and home use. It's perfect for backing up documents and photos, and while it may have fewer advanced features than the others, it provides great value for your budget.

Synology DS223: This model has a bit more power and flexibility compared to the DS223j. It supports M.2 SSDs for caching, which can significantly speed up access times, and has a more robust software ecosystem for managing your files and backups.

Synology DS220+: This is a step up in performance and capability, ideal if you anticipate needing more power in the future. It also supports M.2 SSD caching and has a user-friendly interface that makes managing your data a breeze.

All of these options will let you start with your 4TB drives and expand as needed, so you won’t feel limited down the line. If you're considering building your NAS, there are DIY options available, but these pre-built models offer excellent convenience and reliability.