Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Qnap NAS TS-664 vs TS-673A

I am looking for a Qnap nas as Storage for photo end personal documents.
The TS-664 have my interest, but I'm not sure if it is possible to get more ram than 8GB, and if it's fixed ram on board?
Have your other suggestions for a good Qnap nas, with good possibilities for expansion and upgrading? And what do you think about TS-632x as alternative?
I need 2-4 M2 ssd for chasing
Cpu min. 2,2GHz
6-8 bays
2,5 (5-10) gigabit ethernet
8-16(32) ram - is ECC a must to day?
Hot swap and one hhd as spare in raid 6 (or 5)

THANKS a lot for your informative, professional and always inspirational video on YouTube!!

Best wishes
Erik from Denmark
Thanks for reaching out and for your kind words about our videos! It's great to hear that you're considering a Qnap NAS for your photo and document storage.

Regarding the TS-664, it's a solid choice for your needs, but you are correct that it has a fixed RAM of 8GB. However, you can upgrade the RAM up to 32GB by replacing the existing memory with compatible modules. If you're looking for something that supports more RAM out of the box, the TS-673A might be a better option, as it has a more flexible RAM expansion capability, allowing you to go up to 64GB.

As for your requirements, both the TS-664 and TS-673A offer good possibilities for expansion and upgrading. The TS-632X is also worth considering; it's a robust model with good performance, but it has fewer bays than your specified preference.

Here’s a quick breakdown based on your requirements:

CPU: Both the TS-664 and TS-673A come with capable processors above 2.2GHz.
M.2 SSD Slots: Both models support multiple M.2 SSDs for caching, which will enhance your storage performance.
Bays: Both models offer good bay options; the TS-673A has 6 bays, while the TS-664 has a similar configuration.
Ethernet: You can configure these models with 2.5GbE options for faster network connectivity.
ECC RAM: While ECC RAM is not mandatory, it can provide added reliability for data integrity, especially in a storage setup.
Hot-swapping drives and setting up RAID 5 or 6 for redundancy is supported on both models, giving you peace of mind regarding your data.

If you're looking for alternatives, models like the TS-873A or even the TS-883X might fit your criteria while offering more processing power and expandability.