Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

synology DS923+ what caching should I chose?

Hello. I plan to buy a Synology DS923+ I will install in it 2 mechanical 3TB hdd from another custom built NAS. This is my first time using a out of the box solution like synology.
My question is, what caching should I use? Read only or Write also? And what caching media should I use? NVMe or regular sata SSDs?
It will be used:
- mostly for business work. I plan to work directly on the NAS, not just for storage and backup. Mostlye web development work, this would mean accessing the files a lot. I will not run services on it.
- a home assistant installation
- a plex media server for streaming locally, so no enncoding needed.
- maybe some docker containers that will run some websites or software

What do you think? Is the DS923+ a good solution or should I have gone with the QNAP TS-464. From what I understand the software on the synology would be more user friendly and better.

Thank you.
The device comes with NVMe slots, which can be used for caching or storage. Read and write caching is highly beneficial. Here are some of the best NVMe options for this purpose:

When choosing an NVMe for caching, it's crucial to consider reliability ratings such as DWPD (Drive Writes Per Day) and MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures). Caching involves frequent read and write operations, unlike regular storage. Therefore, models with a DWPD of 0.5 and above are recommended. Here is a list of some suitable options:

Samsung 970 Pro: 0.66 DWPD
Samsung 990 Pro: 0.68 DWPD
Synology SNV3400: 0.68 DWPD
Seagate FireCuda 510: 0.7 DWPD
Seagate IronWolf 525: 0.7 DWPD
Seagate FireCuda 530: 0.7 DWPD
Seagate PS5 Game Drive: 0.7 DWPD
Seagate FireCuda 520: 0.9 DWPD
WD Red SN700: 1.0 DWPD
For more details, you can check the full list with endurance ratings here.

Regarding the TS-464 model, it features a Celeron processor similar to the DS423+. This Celeron chip can handle video access outside the home better, making it suitable for such tasks. However, if you require more processing power for running virtual machines, Docker containers, or using 10GbE, a Ryzen-based model would be a better choice, as the Celeron is comparatively weaker for these applications.

https://nascompares.com/answer/nvme-m-2-...dwpd-mtbf/