Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS: WD EX2 Ultra or QNAP TS-251+

I have a WD EX2 Ultra and a QNAP TS-251+. I have been considering switching from the WD to QNAP but am determining if simplicity of the WD is the direction that makes sense. I just would like to know what your thoughts are because I am not sure if the QNAP is too much for my needs.
When deciding between the WD EX2 Ultra and the QNAP TS-251+, it's important to consider both your current and future needs. The WD EX2 Ultra is known for its simplicity and ease of use, making it ideal for basic home storage needs. It offers a straightforward interface and good performance for tasks like basic file storage and backups. However, if you're looking for more advanced features and future-proofing, the QNAP TS-251+ is a robust choice. It offers superior hardware capabilities, including a more powerful CPU, the ability to run virtual machines, and support for a wider range of apps. This can be particularly beneficial if you plan to expand your NAS usage to include media streaming, running Plex, or even light virtualization.

While the QNAP might seem like overkill now, its versatility ensures it can adapt to more complex tasks as your needs grow. It also provides better multimedia capabilities, such as 1080p video transcoding, which can be a significant advantage if you intend to use it for home entertainment. In terms of storage, both NAS units can accommodate 4TB drives, but the QNAP offers better expandability and overall performance.

If ease of use and simplicity are your primary concerns, sticking with the WD EX2 Ultra is a sound choice. However, if you want a future-proof, feature-rich NAS that can handle more demanding tasks, the QNAP TS-251+ is worth the investment. For additional information, you might want to check out the NAS Finder tool here: https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/.