Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS with PLEX for h.265

Dear sir,

Hello and thank you for all your video and posts out there, they've been very helpful. I am in a bit of a pickle and would like your personal opinion in a matter, if you feel like sharing!

Present setup
Synology NAS DS420j (Realtek RTD1296) with 1GB
Mostly used for PLEX with 90% 720p H.265 files

I have recently added Container manager and running a container and wish to upgrade in general to smooth things out. I am looking in DS423+,923+ and 1522+

My issue in choosing is mostly the Integrated graphics or not option - so uncertain if the RyzenR1600 will do the work for me. I watch my files using a late iPhone or a NVidia Shield or another alternative TV box so - I think - I do not transcode my files.

In the scenario that above assumptions are correct, and my files 99% of the times being 720p or 1080p with H.265, will the 923+ or 1522+ do the job? Your input will be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,
George
Uncertainty About Choosing a Model with or Without Integrated Graphics:

Given your current usage and the fact that your playback devices (iPhone, NVIDIA Shield, TV box) natively support H.265, transcoding might not be necessary. Models without integrated graphics, such as the DS923+ and DS1522+, should still perform well for your needs.
Concern About the Ryzen R1600's Ability to Handle Plex Streaming and Container Workloads Without Integrated Graphics:

The Ryzen R1600 is a powerful CPU and is capable of handling Plex streaming and container workloads efficiently, even without integrated graphics. For your use case, where transcoding is minimal, the CPU's processing power will ensure smooth performance.
Ensuring Smooth Performance for Plex with Existing Devices Without Transcoding Issues:

Since your devices support H.265 natively, the DS923+ or DS1522+ will be able to handle your 720p and 1080p files without requiring transcoding. This ensures that your Plex experience will be smooth and efficient.