Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS with Byeond Raid technology

I recently learned of Drobo's demise, The best thing about the ecosystem was there "Byeond Raid" technology.
What alternatives are avalible with simmilar implementations? I dont wish to bulk upgrade my drives when it becomes full, I want a system that grows as my needs do.

Is there a simmilar product avalible with this kind of technology?
Thank you for reaching out with your question about finding an alternative to Drobo's BeyondRAID technology. I'm sorry to hear about Drobo's demise, but fortunately, there are other NAS solutions that offer similar flexible storage management technologies.

Alternatives to BeyondRAID Technology
Synology's SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID)

Overview: Synology's Hybrid RAID (SHR) is designed to provide a flexible storage solution similar to BeyondRAID. It allows for mixing different sizes of hard drives and expands storage without requiring bulk upgrades.
Key Models:
Synology DS1821+: This 8-bay NAS is expandable up to 18 bays with expansion units. It supports SHR and offers powerful performance with an AMD Ryzen processor.
Synology DS1621+: A 6-bay NAS, also expandable, offering SHR support and a robust feature set.
QNAP's Qtier and Storage Pool Management

Overview: QNAP offers flexible storage management through Qtier technology and advanced storage pools. Qtier automatically moves frequently accessed files to SSDs and infrequently accessed files to HDDs, optimizing performance and storage use.
Key Models:
QNAP TS-873A: An 8-bay NAS with AMD Ryzen V1500B processor, supporting Qtier and advanced storage management features.
QNAP TVS-672XT: A 6-bay NAS with Intel Core i3 processor, Thunderbolt 3, and 10GbE connectivity, suitable for high-performance environments.
UnRAID

Overview: UnRAID is a flexible storage management solution that allows users to mix and match drives of different sizes and expand storage easily. It provides a robust ecosystem for home and professional use.
Key Features:
Mix and match different sized drives
Expand storage dynamically
Docker and VM support for additional functionalities
Recommendation
Given your requirement for a system that can grow with your needs without requiring bulk upgrades, I recommend considering the Synology DS1821+ or QNAP TS-873A. Both options offer flexible storage management and the ability to expand storage as needed.

Example Configuration for Synology DS1821+
Base Unit: Synology DS1821+
Initial Storage: Start with 4 x 12TB drives (48TB) and expand as needed.
Expansion: Add Synology DX517 expansion units to increase total bays.
Example Configuration for QNAP TS-873A
Base Unit: QNAP TS-873A
Expansion: Utilize QNAP expansion enclosures to increase total bays.
(07-16-2024, 01:31 PM)ed Wrote: Thank you for reaching out with your question about finding an alternative to Drobo's BeyondRAID technology. I'm sorry to hear about Drobo's demise, but fortunately, there are other NAS solutions that offer similar flexible storage management technologies.

Alternatives to BeyondRAID Technology
Synology's SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID)

Overview: Synology's Hybrid RAID (SHR) is designed to provide a flexible storage solution similar to BeyondRAID. It allows for mixing different sizes of hard drives and expands storage without requiring bulk upgrades.
Key Models:
Synology DS1821+: This 8-bay NAS is expandable up to 18 bays with expansion units. It supports SHR and offers powerful performance with an AMD Ryzen processor.
Synology DS1621+: A 6-bay NAS, also expandable, offering SHR support and a robust feature set.
QNAP's Qtier and Storage Pool Management

Overview: QNAP offers flexible storage management through Qtier technology and advanced storage pools. Qtier automatically moves frequently accessed files to SSDs and infrequently accessed files to HDDs, optimizing performance and storage use.
Key Models:
QNAP TS-873A: An 8-bay NAS with AMD Ryzen V1500B processor, supporting Qtier and advanced storage management features.
QNAP TVS-672XT: A 6-bay NAS with Intel Core i3 processor, Thunderbolt 3, and 10GbE connectivity, suitable for high-performance environments.
UnRAID

Overview: UnRAID is a flexible storage management solution that allows users to mix and match drives of different sizes and expand storage easily. It provides a robust ecosystem for home and professional use.
Key Features:
Mix and match different sized drives
Expand storage dynamically
Docker and VM support for additional functionalities
Recommendation
Given your requirement for a system that can grow with your needs without requiring bulk upgrades, I recommend considering the Synology DS1821+ or QNAP TS-873A. Both options offer flexible storage management and the ability to expand storage as needed.

Example Configuration for Synology DS1821+
Base Unit: Synology DS1821+
Expansion: Add Synology DX517 expansion units to increase total bays.
Example Configuration for QNAP TS-873A
Base Unit: QNAP TS-873A
Expansion: Utilize QNAP expansion enclosures to increase total bays.

Hi - Thank you for the reply, I know I am not the original poster but I have been considering the Synology 1621+ or 1821+ to replace my Drobo 5D setup and switching from DAS to NAS and from a Black Box where my biggest decision was 1 or 2 drive redundancy to a Black Box with a bunch of levers and buttons has me a little nervous

1. Should I be concerned at all about Synology's approve to drive certification? I know the drives in my current Drobo 5D are not certified and therefore I probably need to simply buy new ones anyway?

2. Does the NAS required Internet connectivity? I have been thinking about connecting it directly to my Mac and having my Mac connect to the Internet via WiFi to help isolate the unit from the Internet

Sorry if these seem simple / odd questions but I've been using DAS connected Drobo's since their first model and it feels like a big scary world outside their little garden.