Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Expand storage pool adding 2 new identical HDD to the first two in work

I bought in May F4-424 Pro, initial setup with 2 WD Red Pro 16TB each, upgrade to TOS 6.0.229-00147, after 2 weeks install WD Black 770 1TB as HyperCache. This week bought other 2 WD Red Pro and from yesterday evening I'm trying to expand storage pool (TRAID BTFRS). It's a slow work I think... in the first 2 HDD I have about 5TB of data and 10TB free. When will be concluded the adding of HDD 3 and 4? Terramaster support is not satisfactory in their answers, they want initialise all...
I hope (as in manual) to add HDDs with Edit Storage pool. In this process I stopped file services, indexing media, disabled all apps installed, but have HyperCache in use, have to cancel HyperCache? Thanks for your help if you can
Thank you for reaching out about expanding the storage pool on your Terramaster F4-424 Pro NAS.

Expanding the storage pool can be a lengthy process, especially with newer features like TRAID and the large amount of data you have. Since you've added two new WD Red Pro 16TB HDDs to your existing setup and are utilizing HyperCache, it's crucial to follow the correct procedure to ensure data integrity and optimal performance.

As TRAID is a newer feature compared to Synology's SHR, it may not perform as efficiently in some cases. Adding new drives and integrating them into the existing pool could take several days to complete, depending on the NAS's workload and the amount of data being managed.

Considering the criticality of your data, it's highly recommended to maintain a backup during this process. While the manual suggests adding HDDs through the "Edit Storage pool" option without initialization, it's essential to monitor the process closely to ensure everything progresses smoothly and your data remains secure.
Expanding the storage pool can be a slow process—I know from experience! I did something similar recently with my own setup, and it took a while to complete. If HyperCache is running, you might want to turn it off during the expansion to avoid any issues. I had to wait a good chunk of time, so hang in there!
(07-04-2024, 04:15 PM)Ekky Wrote: Expanding the storage pool can be a slow process—I know from experience! I did something similar recently with my own setup, and it took a while to complete. If HyperCache is running, you might want to turn it off during the expansion to avoid any issues. I had to wait a good chunk of time, so hang in there!

Thank you Ekky. 
Also you with TerraMaster? And what device? I have mine F4-424 Pro only from 2 months… and have a Synology DS413 and I have to say that probably Synology is more user friendly and with a better technical support
TerraMaster F4-424 Pro with 4 HDDs WD Red Pro 16TB in TRAID and NVMe WD Black 770
(07-03-2024, 05:00 PM)Enquiries Wrote: I bought in May F4-424 Pro, initial setup with 2 WD Red Pro 16TB each, upgrade to TOS 6.0.229-00147, after 2 weeks install WD Black 770 1TB as HyperCache. This week bought other 2 WD Red Pro and from yesterday evening I'm trying to expand storage pool (TRAID BTFRS). It's a slow work I think... in the first 2 HDD I have about 5TB of data and 10TB free. When will be concluded the adding of HDD 3 and 4? Terramaster support is not satisfactory in their answers, they want initialise all...
I hope (as in manual) to add HDDs with Edit Storage pool. In this process I stopped file services, indexing media, disabled all apps installed, but have HyperCache in use, have to cancel HyperCache? Thanks for your help if you can  coreball
Expanding your storage pool can be slow, especially with TRAID BTRFS. It's normal for the process to take time. You might need to disable HyperCache to speed it up. Make sure to monitor progress and avoid interruptions.