Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which NAS do I need

My son & I are into photography and would like to have a NAS setup to store & backup our photos.
I recently bought a drone so will be having videos too.
I plan having a CCTV system installed at home so need to allow for that on the NAS too.
We've been using external desktop hard drives (2 x 8TB ones each) but had to manually backup to both, sadly, my son's main drive just fell onto the floor and doesn't work now and as he hadn't backed it up onto the second one for a while he lost a lot of photos, airshows etc.
I have almost 2TB of photos at the moment, my son about 1TB so we were thinking about possibly a 3 or 4 bay NAS and either having 2 x 12TB to 20TB drives and sharing the first one and copying it to the second one, then a smaller NAS drive for the CCTV (not sure what size needed, possibly only 1 or 2 TB?) which doesn't need to be backed up.
Been looking at Youtube videos and Synology ones seem the best?
Are we on the right track and can you recommend which model to buy please.
Thank you for reaching out with your NAS setup requirements for photography, videography, and CCTV storage. Based on your needs and budget, I'd recommend considering the Synology DS224+ and DS423+ models. Here’s a breakdown to help you decide which one suits you best:

NAS Model Recommendations:
1. Synology DS224+:
Type: 2-Bay NAS
CPU: Intel Celeron J4125 Quad-Core 2.0 GHz (up to 2.7 GHz)
RAM: 2GB DDR4 (expandable up to 6GB)
Ideal For: Small to medium workloads, personal data storage, and light video streaming.
Storage Capacity: Supports up to 36TB (2 x 18TB drives), ideal for users needing less total storage but still requiring a robust and reliable NAS.
Key Features:
Compact Size: Fits easily into small spaces.
Photo and Video Storage: Supports Synology Photos, perfect for managing your photography and videography.
CCTV Support: Compatible with Synology Surveillance Station for handling your CCTV needs.
Energy Efficient: Lower power consumption due to fewer drives and a more compact design.
Price: Around £350-£400.
Recommendation: Great for those with modest storage needs or a limited budget. Suitable if you plan to primarily use it for photography and CCTV, with some room for future expansion.
2. Synology DS423+:
Type: 4-Bay NAS
CPU: Intel Celeron J4125 Quad-Core 2.0 GHz (up to 2.7 GHz)
RAM: 2GB DDR4 (expandable up to 6GB)
Ideal For: Larger storage needs, multiple users, and more intensive workloads.
Storage Capacity: Supports up to 72TB (4 x 18TB drives), providing more flexibility and future expansion options.
Key Features:
Flexible Storage: Additional bays allow for more drives, supporting larger total storage and RAID configurations.
High Performance: Handles heavier workloads and more simultaneous tasks, making it ideal for video streaming and CCTV.
Advanced Features: Enhanced capabilities with Synology Photos and Surveillance Station for robust multimedia and security management.
Scalability: Easier to expand your storage as your needs grow without replacing the entire NAS.
Price: Around £500-£600.
Recommendation: Best for users with higher storage demands or looking for a more future-proof solution. Ideal if you foresee significant growth in your photo/video library and require additional capacity for CCTV footage.

Both the DS224+ and DS423+ are excellent choices for your needs, with the DS423+ providing more flexibility and scalability. The DS224+ is ideal if you prefer a more compact and budget-friendly option with modest storage needs.

For your current situation:

Go with DS224+ if you want a simple, cost-effective solution and are comfortable with limited future expandability.
Opt for DS423+ if you want to invest in a more versatile and scalable solution that can handle more storage and more intensive tasks over time.