Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need Advice on Expanding Synology DS718+ Storage

Hey NAS Compares team,

I’m a power user with a Synology DS718+ primarily used for Plex streaming and backing up computers. Running out of space and looking to add at least 2TB in the near term. Here’s my current setup and questions:

Current Setup:

Drives: 2x WD40FFRX-68N32N0, 3.6 TB each
Used Capacity: 96% (3.4 TB of 3.5 TB)
RAM: 16 GB
CPU: Intel Celeron J3455, Quad-core 1.5 GHz
Questions:

How outdated is my current setup? Should I upgrade? If so, to what?
Is adding a Synology Expansion Unit DX517 worth it?
Considering adding a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD cache. Is this a good choice or are there better options? What improvements will it bring?
What RAID configuration would you recommend for performance and cost?
Thanks for the help!
Your current setup with the Synology DS718+ is still quite capable, featuring a robust Intel Celeron J3455 CPU and 16GB of RAM. However, if you're experiencing storage constraints and considering upgrades, here are some recommendations:

Upgrade Considerations: While your DS718+ isn't outdated, adding more storage capacity could alleviate current space limitations. Consider upgrading to higher-capacity HDDs or adding SSDs for caching purposes.

Expansion Unit DX517: Adding a DX517 expansion unit could be beneficial if you need additional drive bays for future scalability beyond the DS718+'s base four bays. This would allow you to increase your storage capacity seamlessly without replacing your current NAS.

SSD Cache with Crucial MX500: Integrating a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD for caching could significantly enhance your NAS's performance, especially in read-intensive Plex streaming scenarios. It accelerates data access for frequently accessed files, improving overall responsiveness.

RAID Configuration: For a balance between performance and cost-efficiency, RAID 5 or RAID 6 could be suitable choices. RAID 5 offers good performance with one disk fault tolerance, while RAID 6 provides higher fault tolerance with two disk failures at the cost of slightly reduced usable capacity.

https://nascompares.com/answer/best-nvme...r-caching/