Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology vs DIY NAS

I am looking to purchase a NAS drive for home use to store family photos, videos, Movies, documents and backups.

I was comparing the Synology DS 423+ and the DS 923+. I am also open to create a similar form factor DIY solution with comparable performance or better.

For storage I was debating between 4x 6TB WD RED Plus HDDs with 1 drive raid redundancy similar to Synology SHR. Would you be able to assist in choose the ideal solution. I do have a seperate virtualisation micro pc which i can use for dockers and virtual machines.
When deciding between the Synology DS 423+ and DS 923+ NAS models versus a DIY NAS solution, here are some considerations to help you make an informed choice based on your needs:

Synology DS 423+ vs DS 923+:

DS 423+: It features a quad-core processor, 4 drive bays, and supports up to 64TB of storage with expansion units.
DS 923+: This model offers more powerful performance with a quad-core processor and 4GB of RAM (expandable to 8GB), suitable for heavier workloads and multiple users.
DIY NAS Solution:

Advantages: You have flexibility in hardware selection and potential cost savings. Utilizing your existing micro PC for Docker and virtual machines can enhance functionality beyond basic NAS features.
Considerations: Building a DIY NAS requires technical expertise and time for setup and maintenance. Compatibility of hardware components and software configuration should be carefully researched.
Storage Configuration:

4x 6TB WD RED Plus HDDs: This setup provides ample storage with redundancy using RAID configuration similar to Synology SHR. Consider adding 1 or 2 SSDs for caching to improve performance, especially for frequently accessed data.
Budget: With a budget of 1000 euros including storage, both the Synology DS 423+ and DS 923+ are viable options. For DIY, ensure the total cost of components including HDDs and SSDs fits within your budget.

Recommendation:

If Ease of Use and Support are Key: Synology NAS offers user-friendly interfaces, robust software support, and streamlined setup.
If Flexibility and Customization are Priorities: DIY NAS allows for tailoring hardware components and software solutions to meet specific needs, leveraging your existing micro PC for enhanced functionality.
Considering your requirements for 10-20 TB usable storage across 4 HDDs and potential SSD caching, both options can meet your storage needs effectively. If you opt for DIY, ensure compatibility and consider using reputable components.