Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DIY NAS (Jonsbo N2 or N3)

Hi, I'm following your guide to build the Nas on JONSBO N3, I prefer the I5 option but i'd like to stay away from REALTEK NICs since they Wake On Lan and other options are really bad, i couldn't find the SATA multiplier board on amazon Alternatives?
I'm currently running Truenas on an old notebook with broken screen and 2 USB adapters for 3.5" disks, it's working OK but I'd like to build a proper NAS, therefore your recommendations & advice are greately appreciated
That's awesome that you're following the guide to build a NAS on a Jonsbo N3 with an Intel Core i5! Here's some info to tackle your questions about the NIC and SATA multiplier board:

Intel NIC for Better Wake-on-LAN:

You're smart to avoid the Realtek NIC for Wake-on-LAN (WOL) concerns. Here are two options for a more reliable NIC:

Motherboard with Intel NIC: Look for a mini-ITX motherboard that has an Intel i219-LM or similar NIC built-in. These offer better WOL functionality.
Add-in PCIe Network Card: Consider installing a separate PCIe network card with an Intel NIC. This gives you more control and future upgrade flexibility.
Alternatives to the Specific SATA Multiplier Board:

Finding the exact SATA multiplier board from the guide on Amazon might be tricky. Here are some great alternatives:

Search for "SATA III expansion card" or "SATA controller card" online. These come in various configurations, typically offering 2-4 additional SATA ports.
Check reputable online retailers specializing in computer parts. They often have a wider selection of components compared to general retailers.

Specific Options for SATA Multiplier Cards in your Jonsbo N3 NAS Build
While I can't directly link to online stores, I can provide some specific options and details to help you find a suitable SATA multiplier card for your Jonsbo N3 NAS build.

Brands:

Reliable options: Look for established brands like Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI. These are known for their quality and compatibility.
Other reputable choices: Consider brands like Syba, Delock, and StarTech.com. These offer good value and functionality.
Features to Consider:

Number of Ports: Choose the card based on the number of additional SATA drives you need to connect. Common options include 2, 4, or 6 ports.
PCIe Interface: Make sure the card's interface (usually PCIe x1 or x4) is compatible with your motherboard's available PCIe slot. Check your motherboard manual for details.
RAID Support: Some cards offer basic RAID functionality. However, since you're likely using TrueNAS, software RAID is preferred. Choose a card based on port requirements, not RAID features.
Examples (for reference only):

Gigabyte GC-Alpine SATA3 2 Ports: This card offers two additional SATA III ports through a PCIe x1 slot.
Asus Hyper Essentials SATA III 2 Ports: Similar to the Gigabyte card, this Asus option provides two additional SATA III ports using a PCIe x1 slot.
Syba SI-PEX4SATA3-4R 4 Ports: This Syba card offers four additional SATA III ports with a PCIe x4 interface. While it includes basic RAID support, remember TrueNAS handles software RAID better.