Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

To Terramaster, or not to Terramaster, that is the dilemma.

Good morning, 

Firstly i would like to congratulate you on an interesting, informative website, and some excellent YouTube Videos.  As a result of which, I think I’ve finally got close to a list of requirements for my NAS.

Essential Requirements:
  • USB 3.2 for additional drives etc (seems pretty standard?)
  • Ability to use as a PlEX server 9again pretty standard?)
  • 6 bays (Initially to use existing drives and update over the next few months 
  • The ability to accept mixed side drives (as far as Ican work out, only Synology and Terramaster offer this out of the box, maybe possible to use UNaid? any other third party apps. allow this?)
  • Sensible RAM - I suspect 16GB plus?)
  • Multigig connectivity preferably 10gbe (probably overkill but hey, as another YouTuber says, “why Not”!

Like to have requirement:
  • Ability to connect directly using USB4/TB4 for a possible journey into video editing

Network Stuff:

I have at the core of my network a 2nd hand Mac Studio with 10 GBe connectivity. The rest of my network is mostly 1 GBe including Apple TV, Mac Mini 2012 (used as my current PLEX revert) and some other stuff.  I’ve also got an IVanky Docking Station recently purchased for our personal MacBook Pro, and the wife’s newly issued MAcNook Air (Work)

Rambling's

To confirm, I would like my NAS to be used for:
  • PLEX server (not necessary all backed up as I’ve got a large collection)
  • File storage and duplication 
  • Time machine Storage?

I also feel it is sensible to look at a relatively new model to give me a few years service. There are some interesting ‘bargains’ on eBay of Synology units that are ~8-10 years old, but may not have much time left, but could be an interesting way to learn about NAS.  Remember WHS about 20 years ago? I did have a system which worked well for the mos t part until Microsoft stopped supporting it.

I am looking at the new Terramaster’s; Ive recently bought the D8 Hybrid DAC recently on an Amazon offer and finding it rather useful with a RAID 1 with 2 x16TB drives….  And like the build quality and useful ness of ot as a DAS, bitty it lacks USB4/TB4 connectivity, but that would also make it a lot more expensive. 

So my current dilemma, Will the basic F6-424 serve my needs at around £550 or would I benefit from the Max version at ~£900. I know the Max has 10GBe connectivity, and more oooomph, but do I need that?  Sadly there is no F6-424 Pro.

Is there another hardware/software solution I should be looking at, please?

Guess my next post should be on networking, specifically 2.5/10gbe switches….

Thanks in advance 

Adrian
Forgot to mention, I do like the look of the new Ugreen units, but two issues..

Firstly not available in the UK, yet (take them to The Hague for discrimination!)
Secondly you can’t use mixed HDD sizes.

I like the idea of populating with say 4x10TB hard drives, and then as one fails or requirements necessitate, replacing one or two with say 16TB drive, and then a few months later replace the existing 10tb drives with 20TB drives as prices fall etc.

Many of the DAS units appear to be restricted to HDD sizes, a while ago it was often 16 or 18 TB HDD, Do NAS units have the same restrictions?