Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Replacement for Drobo5C

Good Morning!
I have a Drobo 5C with 5x2tb inside right now...

As drobo is no longer a viable company, I am concerned with keeping all my tax/pay/backups on this system in case of hardware failure of the unit itself.
I love the fact it is basically self-maintaining, but I am looking for a newer system to replace it.
The new system can be either attached directly to my router, or to a computer I use specifically to share out the DRobo...
I would love to be able to re-use the drives in my drobo as well Smile

What are your thoughts?
I understand your concerns about finding a reliable replacement for your Drobo 5C, especially given the current state of Drobo. Here are a couple of options that will allow you to re-use your existing drives and meet your needs:

Synology DS1522+:
This 5-bay NAS is a solid choice, supporting various RAID configurations and offering great reliability and performance. It’s compatible with 2.5" and 3.5" drives, so you should be able to use your existing drives. Synology's DiskStation Manager (DSM) software includes Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR), which allows for similar drive mixing and flexibility as the Drobo system.

TerraMaster D5-300:
For a more budget-friendly option, the TerraMaster D5-300 is a 5-bay DAS that offers decent performance and flexibility. It supports various RAID configurations and should be compatible with your existing drives.

Additionally, if you're interested in a more versatile solution, QNAP offers models that combine NAS and DAS features. Some of their units also support Thunderbolt, providing high-speed connectivity along with traditional NAS functionality. These could be worth considering if you need a high-performance solution with advanced connectivity options.

Both of these options should fit within your $600 budget and offer reliable performance. When setting up your new system, make sure to back up your data before making any changes, as the migration process might require reformatting your drives.