Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ideal Plex Server

Thanks for answering my earlier question. I have a general question - for $1500 maximum, what would you say the best NAS would be for using Plex and it's associated tasks (transcoding, etc.). I would also be using this server as a file server to backup files from my computer and related network devices. Thanks so much! (the $1500 would include any addons/upgrades)

Regards,
Thanks for following up! For your $1500 budget, the Synology DS423+ with its Celeron processor would do a good job handling Plex streaming and basic file server tasks. It’s a solid choice, especially for 4K streaming without heavy transcoding.

However, if you need more power and flexibility for tasks like transcoding, the QNAP TS-474 or TS-674 would be better options. These models offer more powerful processors and also allow for GPU card installation, which can significantly boost transcoding performance.

Alternatively, you could also look at the QNAP 73A series, which provides similar power and upgrade options, making it a great choice if you need extra performance down the line.