Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Advice for nas server

Hi,
I've asked you guys for advice once before but it was a year ago.
Now when I finally can afford the system I felt the need to ask you again and I got some followup questions as well.

I was recommended to use QNAP TVS-H674-I5-32G
For my home system.
Used for streaming transcoding media, long time storage and home cinema system.
If you don't know any other new servers that would work better then I'll stick with this one.
The hard drives I'm thinking of using 3x of
Western Digital Red Pro WD8003FFBX 8TB.
2 mirror drives and 1 as backup, if that's a good way to go about it?
Something I've been thinking about is if it's possible to use an nvme ssd to store the system files and software in for a quicker respond? And the hdds for all other media, an example of nvme below
WD Red SN700 1TB NVMe SSD

WD red drives in general seem to be reliable and rarely break. Seems to be a good option.

Thanks fot all advice you can give me.
regards, anton
Great to hear from you again! It sounds like you're ready to build a solid system. Based on what you've shared, the QNAP TVS-H674-I5-32G is still an excellent choice for your needs—streaming, transcoding media, and long-term storage. It offers strong performance and flexibility for home cinema use.

Here are my thoughts on your specific questions:

Hard Drives (WD Red Pro 8TB):
Using 2 drives in a mirror (RAID 1) for redundancy and 1 drive as a backup is a sound approach. Just remember that RAID 1 provides redundancy, not a backup, so having an external or offsite backup in addition to the mirrored drives is always a good idea.

NVMe SSD for System Files:
Yes, using an NVMe SSD for the OS and system files is a fantastic idea! The WD Red SN700 1TB NVMe is a reliable option and will definitely speed up your system’s responsiveness, especially for tasks like loading applications and handling metadata. Storing your media files on the HDDs while keeping the SSD for faster tasks is an efficient setup.

WD Red Drives:
You're right—WD Red drives are known for their reliability, especially in NAS environments. The Red Pro line is a great fit for the kind of 24/7 operation and workload you're planning for.

In terms of your budget (2500 to 3500 euro), this setup should fit within your range, especially with the storage capacity you’re looking at (8-10 TB).