Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New to NASs

Hello There,

I'm a noob, like I know enough to get in trouble. I've taken a deep dive into all things NAS in the last 2 months. Is TrueNas too much for me? or should I stick to something like Synology? Im not liking the lack of upgrades in the home user Synology lineup...

Maybe Im selling myself short, I know pretty much all the components of a mother board but... I've never actually installed RAM on a MB before.

I have Plex and a MAC so I'd like to run Time Machine and a growing library of media.

Thanks for all you do!
Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the world of NAS! It sounds like you’ve done a lot of research already, which is great.

TrueNAS vs. Synology:
TrueNAS is powerful but can be a bit complex if you’re new to NAS setups. It’s great for flexibility and customization but requires a bit more hands-on management. If you’re comfortable tinkering and learning as you go, it could be a good challenge. However, if you want something more user-friendly and straightforward, Synology is a solid choice. Their interface is easy to use, and they handle updates and maintenance well, making it less likely for you to run into trouble.

Upgrade Concerns with Synology:
I get your concern about the limited upgrades in Synology's home lineup. While their options can feel a bit restricted, they are reliable and good for everyday tasks like running Plex, managing Time Machine backups, and storing media. You might consider looking at models that allow for RAM upgrades, even if they don’t have the most powerful CPUs.

Your Setup:
Since you have a budget of around $500, a Synology model like the DS224+ might be a good fit. It’s affordable, supports Plex and Time Machine, and has two bays, which would work well for 10TB of storage. You can start with one 10TB drive and add another later, or use two 5TB drives in RAID for redundancy.

Next Steps:
Given your background and interest, don’t sell yourself short! You’ve got a good foundation, and learning to install RAM or set up a NAS is totally within reach. Start with something user-friendly like Synology, and you can always explore more advanced setups like TrueNAS as you get more comfortable.

https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/