Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for plex and normal use

i am wondering if its smart to wait for the upcomming Asustor lockerstor 4 gen 3 or just go with the gen 2....
Seeing the intervieuw you did with lockerstor some time ago and the second time you went across the world for an interfiew... i noticed that the Gen 3 wil not have integrated graphics (he stated he was pushing for an intergration with external gpu (i have a spare gtx1080 laying around dont know if thats usefull)

At this point i want primarly 4k atmos movies on my server to use with my atmos setup so the NAS has to have the option for transcoding.

Im planning on using 2 bays ironwolf pro 16tb raid 1 with 1tb M.2 ssd cash read write
And some spare 4tb m.2ssd s i have in my pc curently.
i have the house completely on Cat6 and just bought the asustor 2.5 switch so connectifity should not be a problem.

(My current setup is an 6tb movie library on my shield but that's full)

Is thare eny news for the release date?
Is thare eny hope for the Gen 3 or does Gen 2 fit better?
Key Differences and Considerations
Integrated Graphics for Transcoding:

Asustor Lockerstor Gen 2: Has integrated graphics, which can be crucial for Plex transcoding, especially for 4K content. Integrated graphics generally handle transcoding more efficiently and with less hassle than using a dedicated GPU.
Asustor Lockerstor Gen 3: Lacks integrated graphics and does not support PCIe GPU upgrades. This means it won't be able to utilize your GTX 1080 for transcoding.
PCIe GPU Upgrade Support:

For NAS units that support PCIe GPU upgrades, consider QNAP's 74, 88, or 73A series. These models allow you to install a dedicated GPU, such as your spare GTX 1080, for enhanced transcoding capabilities.
Power Consumption: Be mindful that a GTX 1080 will consume significantly more power than integrated graphics, leading to higher operational costs.
Setup Complexity: Integrating a GPU in these QNAP models involves additional configuration but can significantly boost transcoding performance.
Storage and Connectivity:

Both Asustor Gen 2 and Gen 3 will likely support your planned storage setup (Ironwolf Pro 16TB in RAID 1 and M.2 SSDs for caching). The main difference lies in the graphics capability and GPU upgrade options.
Recommendations
Given your needs for 4K Atmos movie transcoding and the setup you described:

Consider QNAP 74, 88, or 73A Series: If you want to use your GTX 1080 for transcoding, these models support PCIe GPU upgrades and will handle 4K content more effectively with the added GPU power.
Go with the Asustor Lockerstor Gen 2: If you prefer a more straightforward and energy-efficient solution with integrated graphics for Plex transcoding. This option will save you time and effort in setting up and maintaining your NAS.
Skip Asustor Lockerstor Gen 3: Since it lacks integrated graphics and does not support PCIe GPU upgrades, it won't meet your transcoding needs with the GTX 1080.