Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Terramaster D8 Hybrid

Good morning,
I'm setting up my D8 Hybrid.
For the first 2 bays I will use Raid 1 with two 16TB HDD for cold storage.
I have two options:
WD Ultrastar DC HC550 16TB HDD at €312 each
or
Seagate Exos X18 16TB HDD at €285 each.
Reliability is my main concern, I have never used any Seagate products before only HGST, WD and Toshiba.
Which HDD from the above two do you think would be a better choice?
Your reply will be much appreciated.
Have a nice day
Thank you for reaching out and providing details about your setup. When it comes to selecting hard drives for cold storage, especially with a focus on reliability, it's essential to choose a model that suits your needs and offers peace of mind.

Between the WD Ultrastar DC HC550 and the Seagate Exos X18, both are high-capacity enterprise-class drives known for their durability and performance. However, given that reliability is your primary concern, here are some considerations to help you decide:

WD Ultrastar DC HC550:

Reputation for Reliability: WD Ultrastar drives, formerly HGST, are well-regarded in the industry for their reliability and longevity. They have a strong track record and are frequently used in enterprise environments where reliability is crucial.
Performance: This model offers excellent performance and is designed for high-demand environments, which might be beneficial even if you're using it for cold storage.
Seagate Exos X18:

Competitive Pricing: The Seagate Exos X18 is slightly cheaper and still offers substantial storage capacity. Seagate drives are generally known for good performance and reliability in enterprise settings.
Proven Track Record: While you mentioned you haven’t used Seagate products before, the Exos series has a solid reputation for reliability in data centers and professional storage setups.

Just make sure they are SATA drives.
(07-19-2024, 09:35 AM)Enquiries Wrote: Good morning,
I'm setting up my D8 Hybrid.
For the first 2 bays I will use Raid 1 with two 16TB HDD for cold storage.
I have two options:
WD  Ultrastar DC HC550 16TB HDD at €312 each
or
Seagate Exos X18 16TB HDD at €285 each.
Reliability is my main concern, I have never used any Seagate products before only HGST, WD and Toshiba.
Which HDD from the above two do you think would be a better choice?
Your reply will be much appreciated.
Have a nice day

Amazing service
Thank you very much for your wise advice
I appreciate it very much