Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS224+ RAM upgrading beyond 6GB worth it?

Hello,
before I buy Kingston 4GB I wanted to check in on any tangible benefits of getting an 8GB.

I'm not a heavy user, I'll be storing photo (ideally using the AI smart features) Hand full of videos I'll watch mostly locally. and storing Adobe files. Might use plex now. 

I understand that we need the 6GB to make the AI work.

Question is, is getting a 8GB DIMM worth the (in totally guessing minimal speed improvement) vs the chance the synology technical help would not help me becuase of unofficial RAM usage.
Upgrading the RAM on your Synology DS224+ beyond 6GB can offer some tangible benefits, but whether it's worth it depends on your specific use cases and requirements.

Given your current and planned usage—storing photos (using AI smart features), a handful of videos watched mostly locally, and storing Adobe files—let's break down the potential advantages:

AI Smart Features for Photos: AI features, such as facial recognition and object tagging, can be quite memory-intensive. More RAM will help these processes run more smoothly and quickly, especially if you have a large photo library.

Video Playback: Since you're watching videos mostly locally, RAM usage for streaming isn't a significant concern. However, if you decide to use Plex, having additional RAM can improve the server's performance, especially if you're transcoding videos.

Storing Adobe Files: Adobe files, depending on their complexity and size, can also benefit from additional RAM. More RAM can help with quicker file access and smoother performance when working with these files directly on the NAS.

Tangible Benefits of Upgrading to 8GB:
Improved Multitasking: More RAM allows for better multitasking, which can be beneficial if you run multiple applications or services simultaneously on your NAS.
Better Performance with AI Features: As you mentioned, the AI smart features for photos require at least 6GB of RAM to function. Upgrading to 8GB can provide a bit more headroom, ensuring these features run without hiccups.
Future-Proofing: While 6GB is sufficient for your current needs, having 8GB offers more flexibility for future use cases or if your workload increases.
Thanks Ed!
So an 8GB SODIMM (even if only 6GB of it can be used) does make a tangible improvement. Happy to hear.

AND there shouldn't be and Support concern with any of these Below right?

I am Happy to buy from amazon using one of your shared links if it helps sends some funds your way. HOWEVER,

The link you have to Crucial 8GB on this page goes to 16GB
https://nascompares.com/2023/10/06/synol...abrent_etc

I know Crucial and Kinsgton, and Corsair I don't know TimeTec. and I don't really know reliability of these either.

That said if you can share updated links to Amazon or update that page to work with the right product I'd be happy use that link.

I found a Redit thread deadicated to Ram that works and doesn't if it helps

https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/commen...thread_ii/

Below Are 8GB models that work according to that site. The first two i think might be my best options but I'm sharing the rest for anyone else. 

Corsair Vengeance 8GB - DDR4 2666MHz - CMSX8GX4M1A2666C18
Samsung 8GB - DDR4 2666MHz - M471A1K43CB1-CTD

Micron 8GB - DDR4 2666MHz - mta8atf1g64hz-2g6e

OWC, 2 x 8GB - OWC2C6D41R8016P ECC
TimeTec 8GB - DDR3 1600MHz - 76TT16NUSL2R8-8G
Crucial RAM 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz - CT102464BF160B
Kingston 8GB - KVR26S19S8/8 (not on Amazon.ca right now)
I decided to order the Corsair. 
It has the same 4.7* as the Samsung but twice the reviews. and on the Synology Megathread, a few people found it to work.
It's also the best buy. $30CAN!