Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

All in one media machine

I've a hobby in computers and homelabbing but entirely new to the NAS/DAS world. I want to run Plex/Jellyfin/Emby machine as a pet project, but I also like things to be as clean looking as possible and my workarea is running thin on physical space.

After spending some time looking at NAS communites and watching videos I got a better idea of what it might entail. I keep seeing the n100 being recommended as the server and a small NAS to act as the media storage. I'm, however, looking at either diy or a turnkey option that has an n100/n305 to act as both the server and the storage.

My questions are 'Is there any downsides to having the transcoding and storage on the same device/any Pros or Cons I'm missing?
Do people just recommend the Beelink n100 and simple NAS device for ease of access/price?'

Thank you for your time!
Combining both transcoding and storage on a single device, like using an N100 or N305 for everything, can be a practical solution, especially if you're short on space and want a clean setup. On the plus side, managing everything on one device simplifies the process. You won’t have to deal with the complexities of networking between separate pieces of equipment, and it can be more cost-effective since you're only investing in one device. Additionally, having both media and transcoding on the same machine can reduce latency and potential performance issues from network transfers.

However, there are some downsides to consider. Combining these functions might strain the device’s resources, particularly if you’re handling demanding tasks such as multiple 4K streams. This could impact overall performance. Also, having both tasks on one device might lead to increased heat and noise, depending on how well the device is cooled. Finally, if you need to upgrade your storage or transcoding capabilities in the future, managing this on a single device might be more challenging compared to handling separate units.

Many people recommend the Beelink N100 paired with a simple NAS device because it offers a good balance of cost and functionality. This setup is straightforward and efficient, as you have a dedicated server for transcoding and a separate NAS for storage. This separation can simplify management and provide better performance for both tasks. Plus, the combination can be more budget-friendly and flexible, allowing you to choose a NAS that fits your specific storage needs while keeping the server focused on processing.