Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology DS423+ drives

I've been viewing your NAScompares Youtube videos (which are very good btw) and decided to buy a DS423+ NAS enclosure. My problem is finding Toshiba or Seagate 12TB compatible drives. The compatible drives on the Synology website are old and not available or the sub-type model number is not listed on various websites (for example the compatible Seagate drive is model# ST12000VN0008 - 2YS101 - only the ST12000VN0008 model is listed on websites but not the subtype model number which I believe refers to the drive firmware. Can I substitute any ST12000VN0008 model for use in the DS423+?

The Synology drives are much more expensive than thrid party and out of my price range. Alternatively, the Terramaster F4-424 was on my enclosure list but as this is my first NAS (and I am not an IT technical person), I thought the Synology sw would be a better solution for me.

Appreciate any guidance on this.

Thank you for watching NAScompares videos and reaching out for guidance on setting up your DS423+ NAS with compatible drives. It's great to hear you've chosen Synology for your first NAS experience.

Regarding the compatible drives, I understand your concern about the specific model numbers listed on the Synology website. The model number with sub-type information often refers to slight variations in firmware or specifications within the same product line. In most cases, you can safely substitute a drive if it carries the main model number (e.g., ST12000VN0008) without the exact sub-type match (e.g., 2YS101). Synology's compatibility listings typically aim to ensure optimal performance and reliability, but variations within the same model line are usually minor and should work fine.

If you're looking to save costs, opting for third-party drives like the Seagate IronWolf series or Toshiba N300 series can be more budget-friendly alternatives. For example, the Seagate IronWolf 12TB drives are well-regarded for NAS use and are generally compatible with Synology NAS devices. Always check the latest compatibility information or reviews from other users who have used similar setups to ensure compatibility and performance meets your expectations.

Regarding your consideration of the Terramaster F4-424, choosing Synology for its user-friendly software and robust support ecosystem is a wise decision, especially for someone new to NAS setups. Synology's DiskStation Manager (DSM) software offers intuitive management tools and app support that make it easier to manage your NAS and data.

It's important to note that while Synology's compatibility list provides recommended drives, virtually all SATA drives can be used with the DS423+. If a drive isn't listed on the compatibility list, you may receive a warning in DSM (DiskStation Manager), but this can be overridden using a script to disable the warning. Many users have successfully used drives not explicitly listed on the compatibility list without issues.