Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My first NAS

Hello,

Help please. A friend gave me their old NAS but the new Plex is incompatible with it apparently. I'd like to get a new one that can store my videos and music. I already have 2 WD 4TB Red plus NAS HDDs.
I use Plex and PlexAmp on my computer currently, but would like to move all the Movies, TV shows, and music to a NAS so I'm not running the server on my computer.
I use a PS4 to watch the shows I have through the Plex app, but am open to using just the NAS if possible. For music I use a Raspberry Pi loaded with Volumio that can access the Plex server. I've looked at the QNAP AND Synology but am open to any other brand. Too many choices!

Must haves:
Easy to navigate interface. (Either PS4 controller or phone app)
Remote access (to listen to music on my phone)
HDMI out

Nice to have:
Storage for Photos as well. (1-2TB)
Quite when running
Energy efficient
Optical Audio Out (unless HDMI has replaced that as the best quality)

Thanks
For your setup, you can repurpose your friend's old NAS by utilizing a Raspberry Pi 5 (assuming you mean Raspberry Pi 4 or 5) to host the Plex Media Server. This Raspberry Pi can serve as a dedicated Plex server, leveraging its capabilities to stream media to your PS4 via the Plex app. Here’s how you can set it up:

Raspberry Pi Setup: Install Plex Media Server on your Raspberry Pi 4 or 5. This involves downloading the Plex server software from their official website and following the installation instructions provided.

Connecting Old NAS: Use your old NAS as additional storage for your media files. You can map the old NAS as a network drive on your Raspberry Pi to access and store media files.

Media Management: Organize your Movies, TV shows, and music on the old NAS connected to your Raspberry Pi. Plex will scan these folders and make your media library available for streaming.

Streaming to PS4: Install the Plex app on your PS4. This app will connect to the Plex server running on your Raspberry Pi. You can then browse and stream your media content directly to your PS4 using this setup.

Benefits of This Setup:
Cost-effective: You repurpose existing hardware (old NAS and Raspberry Pi).
Flexibility: Raspberry Pi serves as a low-power Plex server while the old NAS provides ample storage.
Ease of Use: Plex app on PS4 allows easy navigation and streaming of media content.
Considerations:
Ensure your Raspberry Pi has sufficient processing power and RAM to handle Plex transcoding if needed, depending on your media formats.
Keep both Raspberry Pi and old NAS in a well-ventilated area to avoid overheating, especially during continuous use.
(06-14-2024, 09:43 AM)ed Wrote: For your setup, you can repurpose your friend's old NAS by utilizing a Raspberry Pi 5 (assuming you mean Raspberry Pi 4 or 5) to host the Plex Media Server. This Raspberry Pi can serve as a dedicated Plex server, leveraging its capabilities to stream media to your PS4 via the Plex app. Here’s how you can set it up:

Raspberry Pi Setup: Install Plex Media Server on your Raspberry Pi 4 or 5. This involves downloading the Plex server software from their official website and following the installation instructions provided.

Connecting Old NAS: Use your old NAS as additional storage for your media files. You can map the old NAS as a network drive on your Raspberry Pi to access and store media files.

Media Management: Organize your Movies, TV shows, and music on the old NAS connected to your Raspberry Pi. Plex will scan these folders and make your media library available for streaming.

Streaming to PS4: Install the Plex app on your PS4. This app will connect to the Plex server running on your Raspberry Pi. You can then browse and stream your media content directly to your PS4 using this setup.

Benefits of This Setup:
Cost-effective: You repurpose existing hardware (old NAS and Raspberry Pi).
Flexibility: Raspberry Pi serves as a low-power Plex server while the old NAS provides ample storage.
Ease of Use: Plex app on PS4 allows easy navigation and streaming of media content.
Considerations:
Ensure your Raspberry Pi has sufficient processing power and RAM to handle Plex transcoding if needed, depending on your media formats.
Keep both Raspberry Pi and old NAS in a well-ventilated area to avoid overheating, especially during continuous use.

Thanks for the suggestion. While I do appreciate the reuse of the Pi, it is unfortunately just a Pi 3 and I also plan on using it fully with Volumio and a touch screen at a later date. Also, I don't believe that you can run both Plex and Volumio simultaneously on the Pi.
Any suggestions on an actual NAS I could use that fits my criteria?