Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Narrowing down

Hello, I've been watching the channel for a while now, and I absolutely love the content and I'm thankful for the amount of time you put in it. I figured doing my own research would help me figure out what I want and not waste your time.
No dockers or VM ever. Currently no surveillance, but thinking about it later. If I do then probably 1080p-4k cameras maybe 4 at most. Only use case is Jellyfin server and personal backup of files. Typically movies are 1080p and rarely 2k. Typically I watch movies from a handful of drives. Dont plan to change but rarely at max 2 simultaneously streams would be useful as I travel places. Even then I'll probably offload a 2tb nvme and probably rarely ever use streaming. Just good to have. Looking at Synology ds1621+, gives me room for future, SHR is amazingly awesome, the xs model is cool but overpriced for me. Better options? Would the 1621+ support enough GPU resources for 1-2 encoding streams or enough for 1-2 native playback? Too old age for 1621?
Based on your needs for a NAS primarily serving as a Jellyfin server and for personal file backups, the Synology DS1621+ appears to be a solid choice. With its six bays and support for Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR), it provides ample storage flexibility that can easily accommodate your current 20+TB requirement and future expansions. While it doesn't have dedicated GPU capabilities, its AMD Ryzen V1500B processor and 4 GB of DDR4 ECC RAM are robust enough for 1-2 simultaneous native playback streams. For occasional encoding tasks, it can handle basic transcoding needs, though for heavier encoding work or future-proofing, considering models with more powerful CPUs like the DS1823xs+ might be prudent. Overall, the DS1621+ strikes a balance between affordability and performance, making it well-suited for your multimedia storage and streaming needs both now and in the foreseeable future.

https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/