Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

photo storage with link to Lightroom

hi, with a dead Drobo and lost images, I'm just wanting a simple backup with easy access from a laptop, desk computer, iPad, and phone, all Mac.

if the unit dies, Synology is proprietary like the Drobo. Can I pull Qnap disks out and plug them into a new Qnap successfully? Can I with Synology?

I'm leaning towards a two bay Qnap for its future proofing and ability to add additional storage, a TS 264 for instance.

I could put music on there too, free up space on my laptop, and save on an upgraded laptop. 500 GB vs 1 TB which is also part of the equation.

thanks in advance, Frank... ASUS modem.

It sounds like you're looking for a reliable and flexible solution to back up and access your photos seamlessly across multiple devices. Let's address your questions and explore your options:

Compatibility of Disks with QNAP and Synology:

Both QNAP and Synology NAS devices use proprietary file systems for their RAID configurations. If a unit fails, you can typically move the disks to a new unit of the same brand and model to recover your data. However, compatibility may vary between different models and generations, so it's essential to check the specific compatibility guidelines provided by the manufacturer.
Choosing Between QNAP and Synology:

QNAP and Synology are both reputable brands offering reliable NAS solutions. The TS-264 you mentioned is a solid choice, offering scalability and flexibility for future storage expansion.
Synology and QNAP NAS devices have similar functionalities, including easy access to files from various devices, backup solutions, and multimedia streaming capabilities. Ultimately, your decision may come down to personal preference and specific features offered by each brand.
Storage Capacity Considerations:

Starting with a 16TB NAS like the TS-264 should provide sufficient storage capacity for your initial needs, including photo storage and music files. However, it's essential to consider your future storage requirements and how quickly your data might grow over time.
Lightroom Integration:

Both QNAP and Synology NAS devices support integration with Adobe Lightroom, allowing you to store your photo library on the NAS and access it directly from Lightroom on your Mac, iPad, and phone. This setup offers centralized storage, ensuring your photos are securely backed up and accessible from anywhere.