Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

qnap tvs-h874 raid configuration advice using qts

As I wait for my 3rd tvs-h874 to arrive after 2 DoA units in a row, I'm wondering what might be a good all-purpose config while using qts (for qtier). I have 2 2tb nvme, 4 2tb sata ssd, and 4 14tb hdd. With 1st doa, I had everything in qtier. On the 2nd doa, nvme in raid 1 were used for os and apps and planned qtier sata ssd/hdds, but errors happened before that was created. What config would you recommend for a mix of in-home streaming and backups, while leaving possible vms, proxy server, home sec cams, a dbase, etc.? Nvme raid 1 for os, apps, vms and all qtier; 2 sata ssd for cache and 2 ssd + 4 hdd qtier, ditch it all and go quts hero? The qtier appeal is automation. I'd also have to return some ssd's for smaller ones if I went with quts hero instead and caching due to mem constraint of 64gb is the listed bare min for 2tb cache. Thanks!!!
I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you've faced with your previous TVS-h874 units. Let's work together to configure your new unit optimally for your needs.

Given your requirements and the components you have, here's a suggested configuration:

NVMe RAID 1 for OS and Apps: It's a good idea to keep your operating system and critical applications on redundant NVMe storage for reliability. This setup ensures that your system remains operational even if one NVMe drive fails.

SSD and HDD Tiered Storage (Qtier): Utilize Qtier to automatically tier your data based on usage patterns. You can configure Qtier to promote frequently accessed data to faster SSD storage (NVMe and SATA SSDs) and demote less frequently accessed data to HDD storage. With this setup, you'll benefit from both performance and capacity.

Allocate your 2TB NVMe drives for Qtier acceleration and pair them with the 2TB SATA SSDs to create a fast tier.
Use the 4 14TB HDDs as the capacity tier, providing ample storage space for backups and media files.
Cache Configuration: While Qtier handles data tiering, consider using the remaining 2 SATA SSDs as cache drives (SSD cache) to further enhance performance, especially for applications like home streaming and virtual machines.

As for QTS Hero, it offers additional features and benefits, but it may require returning some SSDs for smaller ones due to memory constraints. If automation and advanced data management are essential for you, QTS Hero could be worth considering.

Before finalizing your configuration, ensure compatibility with your intended usage scenarios, such as in-home streaming, backups, VMs, proxy servers, and security cameras.