Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Advice on NAS to buy

Hello! I am new to the NAS world. I have been doing some research to figure out what is the best NAS for my needs. My primary use would be to move most of my family photos (from HDDs, phones and some from GPhotos) to it and start backing up there so I don't need to keep increasing Google storage (most probably will use Immich as it sounds to be the closest to GPhotos). The NAS will also be used for password manager hosting and files backup (like Gdrive) for now. I will also need to access it outside of home if needed (for example to share photos). The Synology seems to be the best OOTB but it costs around 620euros without HDDs, the Terraform is way cheaper (around 250euros) but seems to have bad software (would need to flash something like TrueNAS), QNAP seems to have security issues software is not as good as DSM. I can build if needed, but I am unsure what are the best and low power parts to buy or even what OS to add. Any ideias?
Given your needs, I'd recommend either the Synology DS224+ or the DS423+. Both models offer robust features and performance suitable for your requirements:

Synology DS224+:

It's a compact 2-bay NAS, perfect for your initial storage needs.
With Synology's DiskStation Manager (DSM) software, you'll have an intuitive and feature-rich platform for managing your data, hosting your password manager, and backing up files.
Remote access features allow you to easily access your data from anywhere, making sharing photos outside of home a breeze.
The DS224+ is within your budget and provides a solid foundation for your NAS setup.
Synology DS423+:

If you anticipate needing more storage capacity or room for future expansion, the DS423+ offers four drive bays, providing greater flexibility for adding additional drives as your storage needs grow.
It offers similar features and performance to the DS224+ but with the added benefit of increased storage capacity.
While it may stretch your budget slightly, the DS423+ provides scalability and room for growth, making it a worthwhile investment for the long term.
Both models are compatible with Synology's suite of mobile apps, allowing you to easily access and manage your data from your smartphones or tablets.