Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

which NAS for home and docker support ?

I'm looking for a NAS for home, and also to host some of my private projects (in docker).
2 bay NAS should be sufficient for my data, and 2GB RAM.
What about security? I read in many posts that Synology is more secure than Qnap and that I shouldn't expose NAS to internet anyway.
Does it mean I should block ALL access to NAS from internet? or just not expose admin web console ?
What about syncing files between devices (google drive or dropbox client functionality) - at the end this is what I need, syncing files between PCs (even when they aren't at home).
Does hardening that setup make sense? routing traffic thru reverse-proxy (I have RaspberryPi4 Nginx for that), banning login, geofencing etc.
or it's still not safe and better to use VPN ? (I have WireGuard on my RPi4 as well, so I can use it too.), then synology/qnap security debate doesn't make sense here.

I was thinking about buying older NAS to learn about it, and after a few months, when I know more, I could be buy final device (maybe 4 bays, and for many years).

I thought about used Synology DS218+ (~220 eur), DS418play, Qnap TS-453B 16GB (around 250 eur), TS-251D 8GB (around 250 eur too)

however, older models - ds218+, ts-453B have Celerons J3355 and J3455   www synoforum com  /threads/reliability-issue-with-intel-celeron-n3350-j3355-j3455-and-pentium-n4200-cpus.1419/  nascompares com  /intel-apollo-lake-n3350-j3355-j3455-and-n4200-nas-cpu-issue/
so is it safe buying those devices? even for a few months ?

TS-251D (Celeron J4025 - I couldn't find problems with it).
Is it a good idea? or maybe I should look at other models? 
ore used DS220+ it has  J4025 too (no problems with it?)

new TS-262 costs almost 2x of that,  DS224+ only a bit less.
For your needs of a NAS for home and Docker support, I'd recommend considering the Synology DS224+. Here's why:

Docker Support: The DS224+ runs Synology's DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system, which includes support for Docker containers. This allows you to easily host your private projects in Docker containers on the NAS.

Reliability and Performance: Synology NAS devices are known for their reliability and performance. The DS224+ features a quad-core processor and 2GB of RAM, providing sufficient computing power for running Docker containers and other tasks.

Security: Synology takes security seriously, and DSM includes built-in security features such as firewall, encryption, and regular security updates. While it's generally recommended not to expose your NAS directly to the internet, you can still access it remotely using secure methods like VPN or Synology's QuickConnect service.

File Syncing: Synology NAS devices offer built-in file syncing capabilities through applications like Synology Drive, which provides functionality similar to Google Drive or Dropbox. This allows you to easily sync files between your NAS and other devices, even when they're not on the same network.

Future-Proofing: The DS224+ is a newer model compared to some of the older options you mentioned, offering better performance and support for future updates. With four drive bays, it also provides room for expansion as your storage needs grow.
for now I bought Synology DS220+ - could be for a moment or for longer - I'll see how I use it, (+8TB drives)
Also I've already done a test, If I need newest Docker (26.x) - I ran VM with Alpine linux (256MB RAM - was possible to run on DS220+ with only 2GB RAM) with Docker and simple python3 webserver container (memory used around 90MB in VM).
And of course Docker in DSM works.