Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology DS1522+

I love all your videos by the way, I have watched all of your Synology DS1522+ videos and my head is spinning :-)

I'm a photographer and am considering the Synology DS1522+, I have a 10Gig network and want to max out the NAS, i.e. cache, ram, etc... to make sure I have all my work and photos backed up. Until now all I've use has been DAS and I have several 2 and 4 bay.

I also want to create a VM that is an exact copy of my current system, is that possible. This way, if my system ever fails, I can log into the VM and continue to work while I replace the hardware (bare metal restore) to later download the VM copy to the new hardware, is this possible?

I also want to secure it to prevent any kind of ransomware, currently I have 3 VLAN's in my network, this way my systems have a good level of protection.

Anyway, I've talked enough, can you help me with all this and what is your consultation fee? Thank you and wish you a great day.

DM
Thank you for your kind words about our videos! The Synology DS1522+ is an excellent choice for your needs as a photographer. This 5-bay NAS, powered by the AMD Ryzen R1600 CPU and 8 GB DDR4 ECC SODIMM, offers robust performance and expandability. With your 10Gig network, you can fully maximize the DS1522+ by upgrading the RAM and adding NVMe SSDs for cache, which will significantly improve access times and overall performance. I recommend using Synology's NVMe drives or other high DWPD models like the Seagate FireCuda 530 (0.7 DWPD) to ensure reliability and longevity for intensive workloads.

Creating a VM that mirrors your current system is indeed possible with the DS1522+. You can use Synology's Virtual Machine Manager to set up a VM and perform a bare metal restore. This setup will allow you to seamlessly continue your work in case of hardware failure by logging into the VM and later transferring the VM copy to new hardware. For added security against ransomware, your VLAN setup will complement the DS1522+ security features, which include comprehensive backup solutions and robust access controls.