Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

firing up my new DS1522+

Cleaned up & PLEX prepared my 16,540 videos. No 4K or above. primarily 780 & 1080p. I want to reset my nas (used to just get a taste) I want to set up my volume for 3x10TB, 1x10TB for all my MS Office stuff, and the 5th drive as a hot spare. Raid will be SHR but which one? I back up monthly to transportable 5 TB WB Elements as store off sight (they fit in my small deposit box at my bank) Please review and advise if I should do anything different. Thanks!
It sounds like you've got a solid plan for your DS1522+ setup! Setting up your volume with 3x10TB drives, dedicating 1x10TB for your MS Office files, and allocating the 5th drive as a hot spare seems like a good configuration.

For RAID options, SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID) is a flexible choice, especially if you plan to add more drives in the future. Since you have five drives of the same size, SHR with one-disk fault tolerance (equivalent to RAID 5) could be suitable for your setup. This configuration provides both data protection and storage efficiency.

Regarding your monthly backups to the 5 TB WD Elements drives stored off-site, it's a smart practice to have an additional layer of data protection. Just ensure your backup strategy is robust, and consider periodically testing your backups to ensure they're functional.