Sign Up to get more options!
After creating new account - you will have possibility to view questions only from topics in which you are interested, follow questions, rate answers. Just try it! Sign Up Now
Understand the wide range of applications for your NAS device, as well as client tools too. Here we discuss the 1st party and 3rd Party applications hat may be just what you are looking for to use your data effectively.
This is more of an unexpected "what happened" than a question so if it happens to you, you won't panic.
New DS920+ with 4, 8TB hdd and 4GB of internal RAM.
1. First memory test with 4GB ran as expected. Started it from the "Assistant" and the NAS went into reboot process and then started the memtest. After it was done, the NAS rebooted and everything was normal. Used PuTTy to SSH into the NAS and used the command sudo cat /var/log/messages | grep 'Memtest'
to verify the memtest results. Test passed as expected. Ran two more times - all good.
2. Installed 4GB stick of Crucial (CT4G4SF8266) and started the memory testing process again. This time when it started the initial rebooting - the NAS shutdown. No LED's, no fans turning - nothing. After waiting several minutes, I long pressed the Power button and the unit started up and went into the memory test. Checked the results, everything passed. Performed the test again two more times and in both cases the reboot worked as expected, went into test, completed and rebooted.
3. Next I have a 16GB stick of Crucial (CT16G48FD8266) that I installed and started testing. Just like the first test on the 4GB stick, the first test on the 16GB stick failed to reboot and went into a power off state. No LED's, no fan's. Waited several minutes and then pressed the power on button but this time nothing happened. The power on LED would not turn blue no matter how long I held it pressed. Had to remove the power cord, waited 30 seconds and plugged it back in. Long press on the power button and the NAS came back up and started the memory test all on it's own. Tested the 16GB two more times, log shows all the testing for all the memory tests passed.
I have dumped all the logs after running the tests and will look for any event's / error messages to see if this is normal operation or a bug...
I have done some research and found this behavior being alluded to in a Synology forum for a different model but no replies or any follow-up posts.
I have exercised the NAS in each memory configuration after doing the memory testing and there was no abnormal operation, error events or anything else to indicate there was a problem with memory. The NAS enumerates and allocates the added memory and shows everything is as it should be. I have been playing with a number of app's to see if anything fails and so far, everything is good.
So if you experience this sort of operation when running the *first memory test* on your new upgrade, I wouldn't get to excited as long as the memory passes it testing and you're not getting any error messages or other weird, unexpected behavior.
DSM 7 is far from perfect. I'm running it on my other two NAS units (DS115j which I use for target practice and a DS718+ which I use for nightly backups for 30 computers) and I've seen some abnormal behavior in Hyper Backup (corruption) on the DS718+, screen display weirdness on the DS115j and a few one-off events on both of those that I could not duplicate. The DS920+ - with the exception of the first time memory test weirdness, has been running great.
Not sure you will get below message as I answered to my own question, not sure how the systen works here? So here we go again :-)
Thanks your answer.
WOW that is a lot of backup, I am planning to purchase the QNAP TVS-h1688X with 10x8TB or maybe 10TB drives and then Seagate IronWolf 125 SSD 4TB NAS Internal Solid State Drive, 2 x 4TB for cache and 2 x 4TH for special storage (probably surveillance) outside the Raid as I will delete these files when they get over 30 days old.
Will also be installing a couple of SAMSUNG 980 PRO 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 Internal Gaming SSD M.2 (MZ-V8P2T0B/AM), unless you think that's a bad idea, can't have enough (too much) storage, can you?
The backup unit I have planned on the QNAP TS-832PX-4G 8 Bay which I will put same size drives in as on the 1688 and the go from there. That have to be enough for starts :-)
Not sure about this: QNAP Dual-Band Wireless PCIe Expansion Card (QWA-AC2600), will that interfere with the boats other wireless configurations. Would be nice to have a wireless connection for the NAS only to use for external units, smart phones, tables and TV's to hear music and watch movies/tv-series?
For camera surveillance I will probably go for the Hikvision DS-2CD2183G0-I 8.0MP 4K (2 pcs as I don't know how the with cover will be, will need to have both port and starboard side covered), as I can also connect those to the chart plotters and use them to safely get the 60 foot catamaran alongside in a marina, not easy to get a large catamaran along side even with a bow thruster, so these cameras will be handy :-)
Again thanks for your many answers, I know that you are probably very busy :-)
Good fun getting here! I have 50K let's call them items, generally .jpeg, .tiff, .png and scanned, etc files using PSE Organiser 2021, Can I save metadata to files and transfer to DS420j. Thanks, Simon.
I am working on improving my NAS Security after the Qlocker debacle. I followed the video you made on this topic (great material thanks!) and picked up most of the points. One thing I am struggling with is that in order to set up the push service I am being asked to connect to myQnapCloud, a service which I do not want to enable for the time being. Am I correct in my understanding that I can only enable push notifications if I enable myQnapCloud service on my NAS or is there some way around it? Or maybe I am just not understanding the instructions I found on Qnaps own tutorial page.
Thanks for any and all the help!
Hi there, I'am looking for a new nas for my SMB office (10-15 client pc, 2 phisical servers and 2 virtual machine). I'am a QNAP nas adopter with a first really satifatory experience with a TS-259 Pro (still working) and another one really worsth with a TS-453A who completly dead after less than 2 years of work.
Now I'am looking for a better stable and upgradable solution for file sharing and centralized backup and I'am interested in Synology DS1621+ or QNAP TS-673A-8G.
I like to try the newer ZFS filesystem proposed from QNAP but the Synology Active Backup for Business suite seems to offer more complete backup solution.
So my questions:
- There is a integrated baremetal backup solution for windows clients also for QNAP nas? Currently I'am using the QNAP NetBak Replicator for backup file folders from clients but the Synology suite seems to be most complete.
- The Synology Active Backup for Business could backup also the free Esxi Hypervisor VM or only vSphere solution?
- The ZFS filesystem offers some real advantages in the client/server backup procedures?
Thank you for your time!
I am about to by my first NAS. But I can not find good information about some details that are on high priority to me.
* Instant upload of iPhone photos and the possability to have them deleted automaticly from iphone after uploaded.
* iPhone Live Photos support (on auto uploaded photos and browsing photos)
* to be able to use my iPhone to browse my photo collection stored in my NAS. I plan to have nothing locally stored in my phone so there will be plenty of space for a big cache files for thumbnails.
I am comfortable with configuring systems but can not really say what NAS brand that I want. But if one of them are better on my wishes above - that will be what I go for.
Ive been strongly considering the QNAP TS-H686 with XeonD1602 but I did notice the tvs-672n(currently out of stock). which one should I consider?
My requirements are as follows:
1. Powerful unit with future upgrade options (adding a GPU, RAM, HDD/SSD/NvME later would be a plus)
2. I plan to start off with 3-4 4TB drives as I feel the need to start small (wallet friendly), obviously with options to upgrade to higher TB drives like a 16 or 18tb
3. Should have less power usage
4. Ability to setup a private cloud out of the box. I feel the need to completely do-away with Google Drive for long term costs and privacy concerns
5. Primary files types will be photos, videos and documents. Eventually should be in a position to integrate CCTV and some home automation.
6. Most important aspect, I would prefer something that has the least to no maintenance for the next 8-10 years.
Synology does not have the upgradable options and the flexibility offered by QNAP.
I recently purchased a QNAP 453D for a great price. I have installer 4x4TB. I also bought a QM2-2S-220A to hold a pair of M.2 SATA SSD Expansion Cards. I have a series of questions ... thanks in advance for your responses.
-File server for home businesses - nothing special.
-Plex for watching a various movies on home tv ( 1 4K TV) most movies are 1080P
-Photo organization (likely QuMagie App - but I have not played with it yet ) (200 K photos)
-Backup for various devices.
-VMs but not for the foreseeable future.
-Surveillance down the road.
How to configure SSD
Should I run them the 2 SSDs as 2 RAID 0?
In using Cache why would I ever configure RAID 1?
How much cache? How much for storage/Apps?
What Apps should I install on the Application Volume if any? for QuMagie? Plex?
I plan on buying 2 x 500GB. Should I consider going to 1 TB? what questions should I be asking myself?
Thanks for your help, I look forward to adding value to site.
I have a Synology DS-718+ and use Surveillance Station. One problem is that Surveillance Station does not let you use AI the the DS series NAS devices. It only works on the DVA or NVR series devices which are dedicated devices.
Some of the newer security cameras have AI built into them. Instead of triggering and recording movement from every shadow, branch, dog or bird, they are able to recognize people or automobiles.
I was wondering if these new AI features of these cameras can be used to trigger an event on Surveillance Station running on a DS-718+.
It would be nice to get AI functionality on a DS-718+. Will this work?
I have a Backup job set on a daily schedule in HBS 3 from a QNAP to an attached external USB Drive. When I did a test Restore job I only see a single backup version available from the most recent backup of the day before. How do I save these daily scheduled backups as versioned backups more akin to Time Machine? I've watched some of your (very helpful) videos about snapshots but as far as I understand it, the snapshot lives on the main source QNAP. I was hoping to get the versioning only on the external USB backup.
Are you forced to turn on snapshots on the main QNAP first and then the HBS scheduled backup job would also grab the snapshot data each day? Essentially I’m asking what’s the best way to replicate w/ HBS (or a different QNAP app) how Time Machine can backup daily versions to an external drive only. Thanks!
First I must say I just love ur videos on YouTube! Very informative, straight forward and No hassle.
Have a question for you, a problem I can't sort out. Have been searching all over the web and YouTube but can't seem to find a solution for this. Please also consider making a video on this topic.
I resently bought a Synology Ds918+. I have a Samsung S9 and my wife an iPhone 8. I have downloaded the Moments app on both phones. On my android the backup/syncing of photos and videos happens smoothly in the background, but on the iPhone you actually have to have the app open for the phone to sync. If you exit the app to do something else it stops syncing.
Is there a way to fix this? This actually ruins the use of the app because u litterally have to go in to the Moments app everytime u take a new photo.
I hope u take the time to help me out.
I have been slowly adding synology apps to my DS1019+ since putting it together back in March. I have been playing around with the idea of using the calendar that you have a review on your site. I don't use Hyperback but instead use a cloud service called IDrive backup which is inexpensive and has no issues backing up the data in named volume directories. I don't see anywhere in Synolgoy's documentation on how to protect calendars or shared calendars with backup. Can you point me in the right direction?
Hi everyone, here’s the photo setup I’m trying to accomplish in Moments: 2 separate personal accounts that store individual photos from before 2013 & a family account where all photos/videos since ‘13 are stored. I enabled the shared library, so I can be logged into my personal account and see my photos as well as our family shared photos. Both my wife and I are backing our iPhones up to the family account (Home>Family>Drive>Moments). The issue is that I have to do a manual copy from the Family account to the /Photos folder for the pics and videos to show up in the shared library. Taking all this into consideration, I’m wondering the best way to sync the Family Moments folder with the /Photo folder. Is it better to symlink the Family moments folder to the /Photo folder or create a script that runs nightly to copy its contents to /Photo? Ideally I would like to prevent duplicate copies (same photos in the Family Moments folder and the /Photo folder). Help please :D
I want to add IP cameras to my older Synology DS1511+. I am confused about where the POE switch should go in the wired setup.
My system background:
Modem to Router
Router to unmanaged switch to other devices like Apple TV, etc...
Router to Synology
Where in the lineup is the best location for POE switch?
Directly to Router?
Directly to Unmanaged Switch?
Directly to the second port on the back of Synology NAS?
Hi, I'm setting up my Asustor NAS and have no idea on how best to setup the ADM Defender in settings. I want it for 2 pc's home at the moment but may well need it for mobile phone access later. Win 10/android. i have several IP's showing the main provider, DNS and LAN IP's? Thanks
NAS for ERPNext solution
I am looking for a NAS Storage for media, Documents and where I can setup ERPNext (erpnext.com) easily on my own as a non tech guy.
Is it possible
1) is it possible to Setup ERPNext on a NAS storage device?
2) is it safe and secure to do it (hacking) ?
3) Can you recommend a NAS Storage that works well with ERPNext
4) How can I protect my ERPNext from unauthorized access or leaking information?
5) Is the whole system encrypted during storage and data transfer?
I’m going to buy QNAP TS-251B-8G and I need advice if there will be possible to run Netflix somehow? I know there is possible to use chrome, and open netflix page, but I don’t know if this hardware will be enough efficient to play movie on it?
Photo app recommendation for Apple user who just got a Nimbustor 4
Do you have software recommendations that may help me manage my photos on my Nimbustor 4 NAS?
Ideally I would like the functionality and convenience we enjoy with our Apple devices (iPhone 8+, iPhone 6, Apple TV, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini) but instead of storing our photos in iCloud, have them stored on our new Nimbustor 4.
Cheapest UPS battery for TVS-872XT
Hello, Hope you are doing well. Based on your previous recommendation I had purchased a Qnap 872-XT.
I am now looking for ma UPS to ensure i don’t loose any data during a power outage.
I am looking for something affordable. (Under $200 CAD)
I was wondering if you can offer me a recommendation for my qnap. The Qnap Will be the only thing plugged in to the UPS.
I found a few in my price range, but was wondering if these can communicate with my Qnap and ensure enough time for proper shutdown.
TVS-872XT consumes 65.03 W while actively running.
Can anyone suggest a USB UPS that is compatible with the DS218+ for use in the USA and under $200?