Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP 453Be pre-purchase question: noise?

Hi. I have watched several of your videos, all of which have been very informative.

I was about to pull the trigger on the purchase of a QNAP 453Be which is meant to replace a Dlink 320L, which apart from being old, slow and lacking plex integration is very noisy. The device sits on my desk and the tiny fan spins along all day and night and i find it very annoying.

So the 453Be was meant to replace that until I checked the web for any comments on it being noisy, and people do seem to be complaining about that.

Just wanted to get an idea about your experience with this NAS and its noise level. I initially plan to put in 3 WD reds (3tb) and scale up when finance permits.

Reviews talk about it running 35db in idle and 46db on load. I am worried that this NAS could potentially be as loud or even louder than the 320L. I can't find data on the 320L to check what the noise level might be, but I am worried about proceeding with this purchase now. I suppose I don't need it to be whisper quiet (I know that's not possible given the fan etc) but I don't want to purchase something which will be worse than what I already have.

Your advice and comments are very much appreciated
Qnap TS-453Be comes with a much bigger fan. And bigger means less noise. I have never complained about fan noise. Usually drives generate more noise than NAS itself. By the way, you can configure fan speed inside the QTS settings. This might be something useful for you.Your choice of WD Red drives will ensure you get the quietest drives there are. You could go for SSD, but that will cost.Qnap 453dx is their "silent" model. But again, I think 453Be will be a quieter option compared to your existing NAS.I hope this helps.