Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Upgrade from TS212P?

Hi.
I'm after a little advice re: my next NAS please.

I currently have a QNAP TS212P with 2x 3TB WD Red drives. It's been running about 4years and work fine for what I've wanted it to.
We use the photo auto-back up from 2x Samsungs phones, general home storage(docs/scans/finances etc) and multimedia storage for Sonos, iTunes and, most importantly, Plex. I cuurently run a server on a PC but would be interested in moving this off to the NAS, progressing to 4k/UHD films across the network.
I'm deeply out of space so looking at 24tb in raid5 config(18tb workable). I already have 2x 6TB WD Black drives from a previous project I could use but am open to new WD Red if necessary.
The NAS is situated in a home office and in a wired network. Network Map: Virgin Fibre modem->ASUS Wifi router(AC88U)->Netgear Switch(GS308)->NAS).
All the content has been backed up to an external drive ready to move to a new system so I'm not tied to QNAP although I do know and like the brand.
I would like to start experimenting with VMs and doing more with a NAS, and am interested in having a NAS for the future, not just "for now". All the NAS units I've looked at so far are 1 0r 2+ years old. Can't see me investing in 10GbE just yet, not sure if i need USB-C connectivity, there'll always be a PC wired to the network.

This might be more info than you need but I'd appreciate your opinion.

Thanks,
Richard.
Yes, QNAP is delaying product replacements due to the global situation. But they did manage to release ts-251d. It is an extraordinary piece of kit featuring all the latest technology. And you would still have an option to upgrade it later to 10gbe if you wanted to.I hope this helps.