Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for backups

The whole point of this inquiry is to narrow down the models. I would like to use the NAS for back up and like the idea of 2.5 GbE but will need to fill the bandwidth – HDD are slow so how many bays will I need? When do SSD help? It is for a small business, so I expect 40-60 TB nominal enough. The data must be secure. But which RAID? How much of the nominal capacity is lost in the RAID? HDD do not work well without space free - threshold 80-90% maximum. Nominal capacity is therefore reduced by RAID overheads and HDD reserve. Sweet point for HDD is 10 GB. Drives should be quiet. Does this mean 6 bay is best? Which CPU?
When it comes to narrowing down the options for your NAS selection, considering your requirements for backup and the desire for 2.5 GbE support is crucial. To fully utilize the available bandwidth, you'll need to consider the number of bays required. Since HDDs can be slow, it's worth exploring when SSDs come into play. For your small business, an estimated nominal capacity of 40-60 TB should be sufficient, keeping data security as a priority. Determining the ideal RAID configuration is essential, as it affects the capacity lost due to RAID overheads and HDD reserve. With a threshold of 80-90% maximum capacity for HDDs to perform optimally, accounting for RAID overhead and HDD reserve, a sweet point of around 10 GB is recommended. In terms of noise levels, opting for a 6-bay NAS might be beneficial (TS-664). As for the CPU, a Celeron-based NAS like the DS-423+ or TS-464 would be suitable for your needs, providing reliable performance. QNAP also offers NAS models with 2.5 GbE ports. When it comes to RAID selection, SHR or RAID 5 is recommended for a 4-bay NAS, while a mirror configuration works well for a 2-bay NAS. To estimate the space you'll obtain, taking into account the specific RAID configuration, you can use a tool like http://www.endmemo.com/data/diskcapacity.php for accurate calculations.