Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for Music Streaming

Regarding music streaming (one of my primary use cases) I want to use a NAS for storing and streaming FLAC, WAV and MP3 files. I have a Network hi-fi receiver (Marantz NR1200) but have been underwhelmed by the HEOS streaming system used by Marantz - I find it clunky and error-prone. If I introduce a NAS into my home network (I am looking at Synology or QNAP) can the control of music selection, playback, playlist management, etc. move to the NAS software (e.g. PLEX?) or would the Marantz still be the primary controller of those activities? You may surmise that I would like the Marantz to be used as a multi-room amplifier only and cut HEOS from my life!
If your Marantz NR1200 has the DLNA option, you can connect it to a NAS and maintain control as before through the amplifier. However, if DLNA is not available, you can use an audio cast device and control the music selection, playback, and playlist management using a mobile app such as Plex. This allows you to have more flexibility and cut out the clunky and error-prone HEOS streaming system, using the Marantz primarily as a multi-room amplifier.