Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP TVS-h874: Choosing a Processor ... Advice?

The channel video on this NAS, which I can't link to, is great, and I'm really intrigued by this NAS, but I'm not sure how to figure out which processor I should be looking at between the i5/i7/i9. (I can't imagine actually needing an i9 without already knowing that I need it, so I'm not seriously considering that for myself, even though I do wonder when it's necessary.)

I can't really look at my existing workload, as the only NAS I've ever owned at this point is a 2-bay TS-253D. So, with the caveats that
  1. I intend to install a 2x10GbE SFP+ card at least;
  2. I want to run ZFS so I can use replication;
  3. I may end up ditching QuTS Hero and installing Proxmox (and then TrueNAS in a VM). In fact, I'm 85 percent certain that will happen at some point. 
  4. Likewise, there's a good chance I might add a GPU at some point if I decide I want to try to set up a cloud gaming server.

But on the other hand, I live alone and work from home, so in terms of actual human users I'm looking at basically just me, with my parents' laptops visiting occassionally and maybe gettinb backed up.  If Proxmox is installed, I mean to leverage the CPU for running at least some VMs and CTs. I think even an i5 at 12th gen would be wasted just being a file server/backing PVE cluster storage for one human.

So, the question is probably best phrased as: What would I need to be doing to regret not buying an i7? The last time I bought an Intel CPU was ~2018, and at that point I went with an i7 because the i5s tended to be compromised somehow--I recall they didn't always include hyperthreading. The 12th gen CPUs have P and E cores, and I really have no experience contextualizing that.

OTOH, it looks like that i5 is all P cores and hyperthreaded (6 core/12 thread), so at least that's easy for my out of date tech brain to understand. Smile

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!
When deciding between the i5, i7, and i9 processors for your NAS, there are a few factors to consider. Based on your description and requirements, it seems that the i5 processor should be sufficient for your needs.

The i5 processor with 6 cores and 12 threads should offer ample performance for running VMs, file serving, and backing up your devices. It will likely handle your workload without any issues, especially considering that you primarily work alone and have occasional visitors.

The i7 processor could provide a slight performance boost, but it may not be necessary unless you anticipate running more demanding applications or increasing the number of users significantly. The i9 processor, as you mentioned, is likely overkill for your requirements unless you already know that you need its extra power for specific resource-intensive tasks.

Considering your future plans, such as installing a 2x10GbE SFP+ card, running ZFS for replication, and potentially adding a GPU for cloud gaming, the i5 processor should still handle these tasks effectively.

To summarize, unless you foresee an increased workload or specific demanding tasks, the i5 processor should be a suitable choice for your NAS. It offers a good balance of performance and cost-effectiveness for your needs.
(06-02-2023, 09:22 AM)ed Wrote: When deciding between the i5, i7, and i9 processors for your NAS, there are a few factors to consider. Based on your description and requirements, it seems that the i5 processor should be sufficient for your needs.

The i5 processor with 6 cores and 12 threads should offer ample performance for running VMs, file serving, and backing up your devices. It will likely handle your workload without any issues, especially considering that you primarily work alone and have occasional visitors.

The i7 processor could provide a slight performance boost, but it may not be necessary unless you anticipate running more demanding applications or increasing the number of users significantly. The i9 processor, as you mentioned, is likely overkill for your requirements unless you already know that you need its extra power for specific resource-intensive tasks.

Considering your future plans, such as installing a 2x10GbE SFP+ card, running ZFS for replication, and potentially adding a GPU for cloud gaming, the i5 processor should still handle these tasks effectively.

To summarize, unless you foresee an increased workload or specific demanding tasks, the i5 processor should be a suitable choice for your NAS. It offers a good balance of performance and cost-effectiveness for your needs.

Thanks! This is exactly what I needed. Smile

I'll admit I'm still a bit paranoid that I've somehow underestimated myself and will find myself in need of the i7 one day, but I think by the time that's actually a problem I'll have newer options to choose from. The pricing on the i5 8-Bay is pretty much exactly in my sweet spot, too.

If I were going to host services off the NAS that were public-facing, I have to think I'd need a pretty unrealistically heavy amount of incoming traffic to over-strain an i5.

I've thought a lot about building my own--I'm already building one all-SSD NAS--but I've decided for my NAS that's going to do mass storage and be a central backup point for everything else, including the other NAS, I want a warranty and a support team behind it. If I built my own, that'd just be an an extra opportunity to lose data if I did the wrong thing in two separate places, without the safety net of a warrantied product.
(06-02-2023, 09:22 AM)ed Wrote: When deciding between the i5, i7, and i9 processors for your NAS, there are a few factors to consider. Based on your description and requirements, it seems that the i5 processor should be sufficient for your needs.

Hello, again.
I had a followup question about this unit. How does it compare to the TS-855X?
Or rather, what factors would indicate choosing the Atom-based 855X over the i5 TVS-h874 (aside from the number of 3.5" SATA drives)?