Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New to NAS, decision as to where to start

NAS

Freelance graphic designer and web developer. Starting to build up a decent amount of client work files. Currently utilising a dropbox folder and periodically backing up to a 2TB G Technology DAS.

Looking to put in place a future-proofed solution to store and backup work files, currently storing around 700GB on Dropbox, just me working from home and an office location from a MacBook Pro.

Started researching, stumbled across Synology and your videos - Great content, definitely wrapping up the market for NAS research. Saw the DS273+ and the DS220+, any recommendations welcome. Not tied to Synology but saw that it had the functionality to link with Dropbox and cloud sync?

New to NAS, not sure if NAS is right way to go. Fairly competent in setting up tech.
As a freelance graphic designer and web developer with a growing amount of client work files, it's important to have a reliable and future-proof solution for storing and backing up your data. Currently, you are using Dropbox and periodically backing up to a 2TB G Technology Direct Attached Storage (DAS). Considering your requirements and the need for flexibility between your home and office locations, a Network-Attached Storage (NAS) device could be a suitable option. Synology offers versatile NAS solutions, and the DS273+ and DS220+ are both viable choices. The DS273+ provides more powerful hardware with four drive bays, expandable memory, and additional features like video transcoding and virtualization support. On the other hand, the DS220+ is a cheaper option with two drive bays. Both models have the functionality to link with Dropbox and enable cloud sync, which can be advantageous for your workflow. Given your competence in setting up tech, you should be able to handle the NAS setup effectively.
(05-19-2023, 03:05 PM)ed Wrote: As a freelance graphic designer and web developer with a growing amount of client work files, it's important to have a reliable and future-proof solution for storing and backing up your data. Currently, you are using Dropbox and periodically backing up to a 2TB G Technology Direct Attached Storage (DAS). Considering your requirements and the need for flexibility between your home and office locations, a Network-Attached Storage (NAS) device could be a suitable option. Synology offers versatile NAS solutions, and the DS273+ and DS220+ are both viable choices. The DS273+ provides more powerful hardware with four drive bays, expandable memory, and additional features like video transcoding and virtualization support. On the other hand, the DS220+ is a cheaper option with two drive bays. Both models have the functionality to link with Dropbox and enable cloud sync, which can be advantageous for your workflow. Given your competence in setting up tech, you should be able to handle the NAS setup effectively.

Thank you, that’s great. I think after looking further into it, my options would be DS418, DS423+, DS723+ - Any recommendations between these, as I think I'm swaying towards the DS723+. I think the DS923+ is a little out of budget. Ideally after the best option for money.