Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS220+ not hibernating after DSM 7.2 upgrade

Hi NASCompares and community

I've been a long time follower/ fan of the NASCompares YouTube channel, and have just joined this forum.

I have a DS220+ with 2x 8TB Seagate Ironwolf ST8000VN004-3CP101 drives, which are on Synology's compatibility list. I had no issues with hibernation on DSM 7.1, however since upgrading to 7.2 a few weeks back the disks no longer hibernate.

I see disk activity approximately ever 30 seconds which I suspect is keeping them awake. Looking at resource monitor, it appears that "Storage Service" is writing to the drives at approximately that interval, specifically "btrfs-transacti" and occasionally "kwork:btrfs".

I have a 3rd party memory upgrade via the addition of a Crucial 4GB DDR4-2666 CL19 memory module, and have tried removing this but it didn't solve the problem. Furthermore, I upgraded the memory whilst on DSM 7.1 and hibernation worked in that case.

I've tried removing some of the suggested offending packages such as Active Insight, Container Manager (Docker), Video Station and Cloud Sync, and disabling services (I only use SMB) but to no avail. Again, I didn't have this issue with these packages/ services on DSM 7.1 (those that aren't newly released with DSM 7.2).

I would be interested to hear if anyone else is having a similar experience? Hibernation is not a deal breaker for me, however the intermittent disk activity is a little annoying so I would at least like to try to resolve that!

Cheers,
Dan.
Yes, this is a very common issue. You never know what apps or processes are using HDDs. This is why people often use dedicated SSD to run OS on. This allows HDDs to be on a separate pool and hibernate. Or some people use scheduled shutdowns/startups.