Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which Nas I should choose

Hi,
First of all thank you very much for your work it’s very helpful. I am a PC builder enthusiast and I want to build my first Nas to store all my documents, and use it as a plex server as well. I really don’t know how to choose between buying a Nas or building one. I’m very concerned about the power consumption if I building one because it will be running 24/7. I really use it only for plex and I know that in my price range transcode will be difficult. All my media are on 1080P H264 but maybe I will need transcode in the future I don’t know. What do you recommend for a Nas Plex with low power consumption (DYI or not) ? I can build one with PC part but I’m afraid that it’s going to be very consuming in term of electricity. I can raise a little bit my budget if it’s really needed. Thank you very much for your help best, Antoine
Thank you for reaching out to me. For your use case, I would recommend getting a pre-built NAS such as the Synology DS920+ or the DS423+. Both of these models can handle 1080p video transcoding and 4K local streaming. The DS423+ has the same specs as the DS920+, so it is a good alternative if you are looking to save some money.

As for power consumption, pre-built NAS units typically use very little power compared to a custom-built PC. The DS920+ has a TDP of only 15.04W, while the DS423+ has a TDP of 14.9W. This means they are very energy efficient and won't significantly increase your electricity bill.

If you are looking to build a custom NAS, you can consider using an Intel NUC or a mini-ITX build with low-power components such as a Celeron or Pentium processor. However, the cost of building a custom NAS may be higher than buying a pre-built unit, and you will have to spend some time configuring the software and optimizing power usage.
Ability to use GPU card is a key for 4k transcoding.
Overall, I would recommend getting a pre-built NAS such as the Synology DS920+ or DS423+ for your needs. They are energy efficient and easy to set up, and they will provide a reliable platform for your file storage and media streaming needs.