Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What NAS should I buy?

Hi guys!

I am trying to decide what NAS to buy for archiving footage/projects and do some video editing (but mainly archiving). I was thinking about getting the Synology DS1821+ and upgrading to 10GBE + SSDs NVMe and populate with 8x 10TB HDDs or larger over time (maybe start with 4x10TBs and go up). Would this allow me to edit 4K off the NAS via 10GBe directly to my computer? Do you think this is a good option?

Thanks so much!
The Synology DS1821+ is a powerful NAS that can definitely handle archiving and video editing tasks. Upgrading it to 10GbE and using SSDs NVMe can further boost its performance and make it even better suited for 4K video editing.

With 10GbE connectivity, you should be able to edit 4K footage directly off the NAS, provided that your computer has a 10GbE adapter and meets the system requirements for your video editing software. The NVMe SSDs can also help improve the read/write speeds of your frequently used files, allowing for faster access and smoother editing experience.

Starting with 4x10TB HDDs and expanding to 8x10TB or larger over time is a good strategy for managing cost and storage capacity, especially if you don't need the full capacity right away. With Synology's SHR or RAID technology, you can easily expand the storage capacity without losing data, and also benefit from data redundancy and protection.

Overall, I think the Synology DS1821+ with 10GbE upgrade and NVMe SSDs is a great option for your use case. It offers a good balance of performance, scalability, and data protection, and can help you streamline your archiving and video editing workflow.
https://kb.synology.com/en-ph/DSM/tutori...orage_pool