Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

F5-422

I have a Synology 1821+ that handles all my storage needs ( plex is a no-go on it ) for now and I do not want to open it up to more risk than needed
So I have purchased an F5-422 ( maybe should have waited for 423 but have no idea when it will be available so ... here we are)

Please help me get the most out of the two devices ( There is no way I can delete all the data off my Synology )
So I was thinking PLEX on the F5 (hardware x265) with all the movies and tv shows downgraded in quality ( shows 720p and movies 1080p ) - storage and speed concerns
I will be having the 2 rj45 1 GBE teamed on the switch and the 10 GBE directly to my PC,
will upgrade with an extra 8Gb RAM module
The raid will be TRAID so I can expand it as I can afford bigger drives (or hand-me-downs from the Synology NAS)
Also, I was thinking I could use USD enclosers to expand the storage ( can the TerraMaster DAS be used here? )

Another idea is to have my documents/photos on the F5 and back up to Synology
It sounds like you have a good plan in place for utilizing both the Synology 1821+ and the TerraMaster F5-422. Here are some recommendations to help you get the most out of both devices:

Plex: Since your Synology 1821+ cannot handle Plex, using the TerraMaster F5-422 as a dedicated Plex server is a good idea. Downgrading the quality of your movies and TV shows to 720p and 1080p will help reduce storage and speed concerns. Make sure to configure your Plex server settings to optimize performance on your F5-422, such as setting the maximum quality to 1080p or lower and disabling any transcoding options.

Network setup: Teaming the 2 RJ45 1 GBE connections on the switch and connecting the 10 GBE directly to your PC is a good way to optimize network performance. Make sure to configure your network settings on both devices to ensure they are communicating properly.

RAM upgrade: Upgrading the F5-422 with an extra 8GB RAM module is a good idea, as it will help improve performance when running multiple applications and performing data-intensive tasks.

RAID configuration: Configuring the F5-422 with TRAID is a good way to expand your storage as needed, while still maintaining redundancy and data protection. Just keep in mind that RAID is not a substitute for backups, so make sure to back up your important data regularly.

External storage: Using USB enclosures to expand storage on the F5-422 is a good option, but make sure to use high-quality enclosures that are compatible with your device. The TerraMaster DAS should work as well.

Backup strategy: Storing your documents and photos on the F5-422 and backing up to the Synology 1821+ is a good way to ensure data redundancy and protection. Make sure to set up regular backups and test them to ensure they are working properly.