Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Upgrade from QNAP TS453mini

Hi, I'm hoping for advice on the best upgrade from a QNAP TS453mini (bought when first released, so aging now). I'm hoping to find a 6 or 8 bay NAS which I can add NVME or SSD to for caching and/or more drives. I currently have 4x8TB WD RED drives in RAID 5 and would like to be able to put these into the NAS without losing data (though if I upgrade to ZFS, I can use my existing NAS to migrate). My main issue with the current NAS is it struggles to concurrently run my apps and takes nearly 24 hours to RAID scrub. It is used mostly as a home file server, backups, Plex server, occasional Photo/Vide0 editing server and for tinkering with VMs and Containers and HDMI out to TV. There are so many NAS models, different processors, etc around now, I'm not sure what to look at, but expect to stay with.QNAP (just for familiarity). Any advice welcome. Thanks
You could upgrade to ts-464 /664 NAS which is a replacement model. But you can not move drives to ZFS without formatting. This is a very strict file system. Any changes will require wiping data. Scrubbing test is supposed to be slow. Maybe using SSDs in HDD bays is an option.