Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

first NAS choice

Hi,

Looking to purchase my first NAS for home. It will sit in the electronics cabinet near my modem, router, switch and PLEX server. The cabinet is located in my living room where my TV is. Needs to run quietly.

Watched a dozen of your videos on possible choices (great job BTW) and decided the Synology product line may be my best choice. The QNAP TS-233 was a neck and neck competitor with quiet performance. I'm leaning toward the Synology product line due to their easier (newbie) UI and their commitment to addressing security breaches quickly.

That brings me to two choices, the new DS233 or the older DS220+ model. The 220+ looks like it has much more capable hardware, but is it getting pretty dated in 2023?

What would be your thoughts on the these two choices and any other Synology box that I may have missed?

I would likely populate the NAS with two 4TB WD Red Plus HDDs. Good price point, and relatively quiet operation (from your TS-233 sound video.

regards,
Karl Shubert
Both the DS220+ and DS223 have similar form factors and can accommodate two 3.5-inch or 2.5-inch SATA hard drives or solid-state drives. However, the DS220+ has a more powerful Intel Celeron J4025 processor with hardware-accelerated 4K video transcoding capabilities, making it a better choice if you plan to use it as a media server. The DS223, on the other hand, has a Realtek RTD1296 quad-core 1.4 GHz processor and lacks hardware transcoding support, so it may struggle with heavy media streaming and transcoding tasks.

If you don't plan on using the NAS for heavy media streaming and transcoding, the DS223 may still be a good choice due to its lower price point and decent performance. However, if you want better performance and hardware transcoding capabilities, the DS220+ may be a better choice, despite being slightly more expensive.