Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Quiet NAS

Hi, I have a RaspberryPI with USB drivers attached to it and shared with Samba. It sits under the TV. I'm looking to replace it with a 4 bay NAS but fan noise is a critical concern due to device location. I'm planning to have 2x 8TB raid-1 and 2x 4TB raid-1 volumes as i already have 4TB drives.

Could you suggest a really quiet NAS for me? Or advise if it is even possible have a that quiet device? HDD sounds are acceptable.

Thanks.
If fan noise is a critical concern for you, I would recommend looking at the Synology Plus series or Celeron-based QNAP models. These models typically have better noise control than entry-level models and are designed to be quieter. Additionally, both Synology and QNAP offer models with a variety of processors, so you can choose one that fits your needs while still being quiet.

When it comes to HDD noise, it's important to note that some drives are quieter than others. You may want to research which drives are known to be quieter and consider using those in your NAS setup to further reduce noise levels. Maybe SSD in HDD bays. Or one of them.