Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Upgrade from Synology DS218+

Hi there!
Hope you doing well. Once ages ago you helped me to decide which Nas to get and I got DS218+. But now I'm looking to upgrade from DS218+ to a newer two hundred series.
So I'm looking between DS220+ and DS223. DS223 I believe is the newest version. Which one this will be more future proof and perform better ? Thank you ! Donation from me as a thank you for sure Smile
Glad I could help, and big thanks for your contribution. This keeps us going.
I have a comparison between 2bay models here https://nascompares.com/answer/synology-...220-ds723/
The newest do not always mean the best. DS223+ which is about to be released any time soon will feature the same hardware as DS720+ (quad-core CPU with built-in graphics).
If you will ever need 10GbE then DS723+ would be the best choice (it has no graphics. So local streaming only or limited 1080p streaming remotely)
DS223+ (upcoming replacement for DS220+) will have graphics chip allowing transcoding up to 4k remotely via Video Station app.
DS223 (no-plus) can also transcode 4k remotely, but it is slightly slower (similar performance as ds218+).
If you think you may need faster LAN, you may as well use USB 5GbE adapter and community-based driver.

I hope this helps. DS220+ might actually have better H.265 support. Synology x23 series seem to have issues with this video type.